landrumspring lowering monoleaf thread

pwmin

would you be interested?  

1. 1. would you be interested?

okay, so as i said in this topic: http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36817 i emailed this company: http://www.landrumspring.com/pages/technical.html about a lowering leaf for our cars. this is what i emailed them:

"Hi, I was just wondering if it would be possible for

you to make a fiberglass leaf for first generation

w-bodies (88-94, some 95-96) that would lower them.

There are a couple companies that make coilovers, one

that makes a metal lowering spring, and one that makes

a fiberglass one but it doesnt lower the car much and

they are not too good with customer service. There

would be an interest in this but im not sure how much.

This is sort of a feeler email to see if you would

even be interested. I have coilovers right now and i

would like to go back to a stock setup but lower.

Thanks for your time,

Paul"

okay, so i made this post to keep you updated on the progress. hopefully noone has contacted them before about this, so you can delete this thread if its been done before. so anyway, if they say yes but only if there's enough interest i was curious as to how many people would possibly be interested. ive included a poll.

as soon as i hear from them ill let you know. i would think there would be interest if they could do it for a decent price and it actually works. hopefully, they'll do a test car. i can send them my stock leaf to check it out.

Me four. I was definetly not interested in getting a steel replacement just to lower it. Not that half of our cars really need a lowering leaf :lol: But I repeat myself.

4. Fiberglass Leaf Spring - The fiberglass leaf spring is made of a mixture of plastic fibers and resin; it is lighter than all other springs. However, the cost is three times greater. The disadvantage is that they produce inconsistent spring rates. In addition, fiberglass springs are sensitive to heat. The resins break down when exposed to heat and heat cycles (produced from exhaust and/or brake systems) which will cause the resin in the spring to become brittle, resulting in the spring collapsing. Another problem occurs with inconsistent resin mix which will cause the leaf to splinter and break. Furthermore, the fiberglass spring is susceptible to damage from rocks and debris.

They don't sound too confident in their product. Not that that stuff isn't true, but our OEM leafs generally don't have a problem with most of that.

Eh, I wouldn't believe that. The early W-body fiberglass springs haven't failed in the way they mentioned and they're 15, 16, 17yrs old.

I think they just rag on fiberglass springs because I'm almost sure this place doesn't make them.

I noticed that you put that you have coilovers right now and would like to go back to the leafspring... I've never really read into coilovers but I always saw them as the highest/best suspension option for us W-Bodies but there must be some special reason you wanna go back.

No W-body ever had a metal leaf.

Metal leafs are many times heavier and also noisier.

Noisy? the rear suspension on these cars is noisy as hell with a fiberglass leaf

anyways, just wondering

Noisy? the rear suspension on these cars is noisy as hell with a fiberglass leaf

Only when something's worn out. They're not noisy when new and everything is in good condition. Metal springs are noisier right from the beginning.

Only when something's worn out. They're not noisy when new and everything is in good condition. Metal springs are noisier right from the beginning.

well hell, my rear suspension has been worn out since at least 2002 :lol:

Mine's terrible. I even had the struts replaced and it still sits so low in the back. The front looks like 4x4 height. I need to get those leaf helper pads, I just have no clue how to install them.

noise and weight are my problems with having a metal one. i think transverse leaves are better. theyre less noisy and the provide more lateral stability. theres a reason corvettes use them. i havent had many problems with my coilovers and i like the adjustability, but i would probably go back to a lightweight transverse leaf.

neway, i dont think they do and they probably talk them down so youll buy their metal one. theres still a posibility they could make a metal one thats lighter than the birchmount. :dunno:

Well the only thing abou the birchmount is I heard guys saying it didnt lower the ass end of the car enough. I have all brand new struts in my car and would rather have a mono-leaf instead of c/o's cuz Im not gonna make the powerful and autocross it or anything. As long as it keeps me on the road. But if this company could make one that says it would lower a certain amount and it actually does, that would all you could really ask for.