options for a sagging leaf spring

White93z34

alright when i bought my car it sat nice and level, 2 years later... the back end isan't what it used to be, i know i need strutsm but i fear my spring is shot, does anyone know where i can get a good replacement spring?

if you have gas struts installed, they tend to add to ride height!

The springs do tend to weigh down if you have too much stuff in the trunk, like 5 tool boxes :lol:

But seriously, is your car loaded all the time?

You should crawl beneath and check the spring for stress cracks, if the spring looks alright, I'd say just get some gas struts.

Or, you could lower the front! - Ken

i keep my toolbox and spare tire in the trunk, not too much else that is heavy, last i checked my spring has no cracks in it, and the rubber stops are still at each end.

get the struts fixed first, then worry about the spring. Fix the KNOWN problem before the SUSPECTED problem. Installing a spring after the struts is easy, although if the question of doing both is alignment, then make sure where you go has a recheck warranty! -ken

any weight in the trunk will lower the back, i used to carry a small jack in the back and it sat low, i pulled the jack out and the back raised noticably.

take out that toolbox and see if the back raises after a few days of driving

i don't need the leaf pads, mine are perfectly fine.

and no, i'm not just going to lower the front of the car.

i supose sooner then later i'll replace the rear struts and see what that gets me.

I bought the helper pads at NAPA. Their brand was $8. I squeezed them in under the spring rubber, (not real easy) and got a bit of lift from it.

I also run a size smaller front tires to get the front lower. I can't stand a car that saggs in the back. I look at all those 97 up GP's driving around with the ass hanging and wonder :? :? :?

To get the helper pads(plastic) under the rubber I ground one side of the pads to a rounded edge, lightly greased, then took a bit of time to tap them in under the spring rubbers. Came out perfect.

My car needs the same thing, especially since even after I replaced the rear struts, the wheel wells scrape the wider tires I have on the TGP rims. I may just have to get rid of them and get the 5-spokes, but I really don't think they should scrape, even if they are wide.

yeah my '88 sat like a 4x4 too...athough my sister's FE1 cutlass sits much higher than my identical cutlass and the quad 4 cutlass.

Almost every 4 door GP i have ever seen is super saggy in the back.

• 4 weeks later...

On my wife's 94 Supreme SL we had the fiberglass(?) rear leaf spring replaced with some heavy duty steel spring from a local shop. We had no issues with the springs since then. :D

even if i lowered the front to match i still have wore out rear suspension that sags even worse with any weight (IE passengers) in the backseat. so i'll just swap in teh 88's rear spring and call it a day.