aMP Problem! (need help)

terryk2003

ok...well, today, i'm driving home for lunch, and my amp just cuts out...no sound and it keeps popping...so, i get home, pop the trunk...the protection light keeps coming on, then power goes off, then back on, then protect...etc...so, can someone tell me what's going on?..i checked the connections, they all seem tight and none of the wires moved?...any ideas?...BTW: its a audiobahn amp...

did you check the power wire fuse that goes to the amp??

well, i checked the amp fuses...they are good...if the power wire fuse was bad, wouldnt the amp NOT COME ON @ ALL?...i dunno though...i'll check that tomarrow...

Check your ground.

Yes.... check the ground, make sure it is touching bare metal, not paint or anything else, the ground wire is easily one of the most overlooked problems.

same thing is happening to me. My problem is at the distribution block. One of the fuse contacts inside the block is loose which causes it to spark and turn the amp off and on. Even though the fuse fits in tight, it is not making a good contact to the block.

If you check your ground and it doesnt effect anything I would change out the remote wire. as they are very easily broken. And the break isnt always visable. Anf I might try changing the rcas to see if they make a difference too.

It could be a number of things.....hopefully you can get this sorted out.

Good Luck....I've been there.

thanks for the tips guys...unfortunatly i havnt been able to look @ it yet...its too freakin cold out and i gotz no garage...hopefully i can look @ it tomarrow @ work...i'll be sure to check the ground first and then try the remote...now that u mention it, my guess is the remote wire is a POS...i guess i'll find out...

ok...finally got around to lookin @ it today...i unhooked the speaker wires one @ a time...it kept doing it...i pulled the RCA's out 1 @ a time...did the same thing...i took the remote lead out, and hooked a jumper wire from the positive to my remote on the amp (instead of the wire to the HU)...still did the same thing...tightened the ground wire...same...walked away for a few minutes...it started working fine again...and hasnt messed up since...WTF?...i'm thinkin there may be a problem inside the amp itself?...i mean, the amp is now sitting flat on the trunk floor instead of standing up in the side of my trunk...dunno if that effected it?...i guess we'll see if it quits workin again... :?