ABS light

Supreme Cutlass

When I lowered the car off of the jack-stands, and started the car, I noticed the abs light wasn't doing it's usual blinking. I tried to go foward and see if it would come on, then I thought "right..the parking brake's on" so I took it off, then it starts blinking. What's up?

IIRC, if those lights are BLINKING, thats a sign you should not drive it. If the light is on steady, chances are a sensor is shot, no biggie.

My service manual says different; it says that a BLINKING light means that there is a small flaw in the abs system, but it will still work, but a steady light means the abs will not work. :shrug:

IIRC, if those lights are BLINKING, thats a sign you should not drive it. If the light is on steady, chances are a sensor is shot, no biggie.

My service manual says different; it says that a BLINKING light means that there is a small flaw in the abs system, but it will still work, but a steady light means the abs will not work. :shrug:

no no. If the ABS light is steady, it means the ABS system will not work, but you do have normal, conventional brakes. Every winter, my ABS light comes on steady... I have a bad sensor that likes to short out when it gets cold and slushy, so the light stays on. I hate ABS in the winter, so I ignore and and it goes away in the summer when it gets warm. I still have 100% use of my conventional brake system.

Blinking is usually bad. I am NOT 100% sure on the ABS systems, but if its anything like an SES light, if its blinking, Ya shouldn't be driving it! I'm 99% sure that if its blinking, your standard brakes can disappear on you at ANY time. Then your best bet is to cross your fingers and pray.

That's odd, here's the exact words from my dealership service manual- (note this is not a powermaster III system)

"The ABS Warning light will flash if the problem does not immediatley hamper ABS operation. However, a flashing ABS light signals the driver that repairs must be made to the system as soon as possible.

A solid ABS warning light indicates that a problem has been detected that affects the operation of ABS. No antilock braking will be available. Normal, non-antilock, brake performance will remain."