UGHHH POWERMASTER III!!!!!

digitaloutsider

Well, my PM3 accumulator runs 24/7, makes the most godawful noise almost like it's running in reverse, and continues to go for a few seconds even when the car is off. Is my accumulator dead? (short post i know, but i don't have a lot of time. i don't get my broadband back until the 26th)

http://www.tpsgarage.com/TGP/brakes/powermaster.htm

That might help.

"Motor Relay: Erratic Pump running, extended pump running, running while ignition is off, or not running at all. Retail $90. UPDATE! The relay now lists for around $300 . Unfortunately, the relay is NOT included with replacements from Prior. "

Sounds like ur problem, sucks there so expensive! I didnt know ur car had the PM3, im sooo glad mines ok

It's not called the PMIII Accumulator.. The 'Accumulator' is just the nitrogen charged part of the system that can be replaced (the black w/ yellow print round shaped thing). :cheers:

Usually a bad accumulator causes the pump to run very often since it's internal charge isn't what it should be anymore. The good news is that you can get them from Prior for around $80-90.

And accumulator would just make it run frequently, not constantly or with the ignition off, so its gotta be the motor relay like I said, and with accumulators, usually the ABS light flashes

EDIT: This sounds like somthing it could be too, but thats a RED light, not yellow ABS light

"Pressure Switch: Bad switch can be indicated by a red light on the dash, no pump operation, frequent pump operation, pump not shutting off, pump running too long. Retails for $70"

Strangest thing happened. I drove home from work last night with absolutely no problems. No extended pump running times, no ABS light. Drove it later that night, still no symptoms. We'll see how it runs today. Oh well, that's 14-year-old electronics for you.

I'll look into it if I remember tonight.

It looks like it's only integrated into the electrical system and doesn't have any special mechanical function so it should be easy to find a suitable generic replacement.

I had the same problem; my pump kept running after key-off and it would wear the battery dead if I didn't stop it. I had to hit the relay near the cruise control / positive battery terminal area to get it to stop. It would keep pumping and make a "pop"/squeal noise, like it was over pressurized.

Anyways I had the car in for some A/C service at a GM dealer and asked them to take a look at it and they were able to rig up a regular Bosch relay of some sort, instead of the $300 thing from GM. The weird thing is, it would still occasionally run full time so they replaced it with another relay. Then it still did it for a few weeks - and suddenly quit forever and has never malfunctioned since. :shock: :?: :!: I guess I'm not going to complain though!

Josh

Last winter my pump stuck on. It would pump up (like a 1/2 second) then relieve pressure (like 1/2 second). so it sounded like urrrrrt------ahrrrr, urrrrrt------ahrrrr, urrrrrt------ahrrrr, continuously. It was the pressure switch. I got a new one off Chris A. but before it came in the mail it fixed itself.

I've been going to put the new/used one in but keep on procrastinating. Good news for you is that it has been good for me for 10 months now. Your's may stay fine.