trailing arms

birdman

theyre made of crappy metal, sorta like pot metal, (stamped steel actually, technically). they should be weldable but may be easy to burn through. still think the gmpp ones would be better though.

i have a new set of rear trailing arms that I didnt put on yet. Can I just take the old ones off or will the leaf spring shoot me in the chest or something? What I'm asking is there a special procedure to remove them, or can I just take out the two bolts holding the hold one on without removing the rest of the rear suspension.

thanks, i didnt know they were made of crappy metal, my other option was to cut off the ends and weld a good bar in there, like a 1x1 piece of square stock, worth it or still go for the gmpp ones. btw where do get the gmpp ones? thanks

i have a new set of rear trailing arms that I didnt put on yet. Can I just take the old ones off or will the leaf spring shoot me in the chest or something? What I'm asking is there a special procedure to remove them, or can I just take out the two bolts holding the hold one on without removing the rest of the rear suspension.

i was wondering this too, the trailing arms are not like keeping anything surpressed is it?

They are a bitch to get off, and you will need a screwdriver or something to fit through the hole and line it up to put the bolts back through when you are ready to do the install.

I had a hell of a time though getting mine off, including burning the rubber out and cutting in sideways to spray WD-40 inside the sleeve to the bolt.

They are a bitch to get off, and you will need a screwdriver or something to fit through the hole and line it up to put the bolts back through when you are ready to do the install.

I had a hell of a time though getting mine off, including burning the rubber out and cutting in sideways to spray WD-40 inside the sleeve to the bolt.

great to hear, and come to think i was gonna do this on a day when i had an extra hour to spare :twisted: Fuck, but that shouldn't suprise me, wbody and rust = a bitch to work on

i did them on both of my cars, one of them a ny car since its existence began and a winter beater for an IBM'er here who drove a nice Caddy during the summer months. My advice, invest in an electric impact gun, grab a good can of rust inhibitor, a boxed end wrench and spin that nut off. Home Depot has a nice Dewalt impact that can definetely get most jobs done. and dealer can get those GMPP trailing arms. I don't have the pn# handy but the dealer can find it.

Edit: tubular trailing arm pn# 10409660. You will need 2. Or order the kit #12498649.

Just order the set from http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

The part # is 12498649. Shipping was like 13 bucks or something.. no big deal. I put one on because my stocker snapped in half. Was ridiculous trying to get it on. My dad ended up torching the front bolt off and replacing it. The rear was tough to get off too but it finally budged with a breaker bar with a long pipe attached to it for leverage. :lol: I've got the second one sitting in my back seat. A cop thought it was my club. :P

I believe the reason they were tough to remove is that the nut on the bolt is one of those locking ones that is meant to be incredibly tough to remove so that they will only be removed if you REALLY want them to.

Yes, the GMPP ones will bolt up without any sort of modification or fabrication. They're bolt-in replacements and a MUCH better design. You can just tell when holding the two in your hand.

I fixed my stocker that snapped in half with a piece of green metal fence post and 4 hose clamps. :shock: 8)

• 2 months later...

is that the correct part # for the 96 lumina/monte because it says for a 99-02 monte,2000-02 impala and 97-02 grand prix it does't say 96 monte/lumina.

I just want to make sure it is correct.