Pyramid amps anyone?

19Cutlass94

Well it starts that I had a problem with a sub poping. I send the deck out, everything was ok, I sent the amp out, they dont make it anymore so they cant fix it or send me a new one. (ended up being the deck that was still fucked up because some piece of shit at pioneer didnt fix it so I spent $150 more than I needed to) So I bought a 600w pyramid amp for the subs and got it back into today. I dont think it sounds as good as the JBL, but does anyone else have a pyramid amp? How do you like it if you have one? Ill admit, its louder than before, but just doesnt seem as clean.

Any imput on pyramid amps?

They are junk and don't put out but maybe 1/8th rated power.

I repaired a Pyramid "600W" amp for my brother-in-law awhile back, and if I recall, its rail voltages were WAY too low for "600W". Toroid transformer was also pretty small. It was probably more like 25WRMSx2.

It was low quality junk. Granted, they may have changed in the past 6 or 7yrs since then, but I kind of doubt it.

Return the pyramid product. I hate to say it, but EVERY pyramid product I have ran across is overrated and pretty poor build quality. Even the companies they own and make rebadged products are low quality. I had a "1200" watt D amp that put out less power to one sub at one ohm than a JL 1000/1 put to two subs at 8 ohms.

Well the only reason I got it, was because it was cheap, but its good enough for me to be able to sell my system.

I didnt know they were THAT bad, but I knew they were far from the best

I had a 1800W (rated) Pyramid amp in my Jeep, the connections sucked but it always worked and sounded really nice pushing 2 DVC JBL 12"s. I'm sure a 600W amp would be pretty weak for anything but smaller speakers.

A store selling them here has a sign stating they are rated in PNP watts which is exactly 1/10 of RMS. So a 600watt amp would be 60watts RMS.

Don't know if it's true but I've never thought much of any I've seen.

yeah once I sell what I have Ill be getting brand new stuff. But then Ill need to buy another amp for my interior speakers, which will lead me to a long time of searching for the right amp.

The amp seems to power it OK, but I think it sounded a lot better with the JBL amp.

A store selling them here has a sign stating they are rated in PNP watts which is exactly 1/10 of RMS. So a 600watt amp would be 60watts RMS.

Don't know if it's true but I've never thought much of any I've seen.

Do you have anymore info on that?

What are PNP watts?

I don't think there is really any rhyme or reason to their ratings.

I really wondered the same thing, it would seem it is Pyramid's creation to allow them to place a 1000watt rating on a product when it struggles at 100RMS. Basically marketing , just like the mHz in computers.

If you want a good quality amp you're gonna spend some money and you need to look at the RMS ratings at the same ohm loads , which is about the only way to compare one amp to another. Also the higher end amps are tested and certified at their true rating. My new alpine came certified producing 40% more RMS than it was rated at. Cost a bit more than the others but I think it was worth the money.

Haven't seen anything since but check the site for yourself.

http://www.pyramidcaraudio.com/index.asp

Come on 1600watt RMS for $206 , i don't care if it's at 2 or 4 ohm thats way too cheap. I bet there's no more than two 25amp fuses supplying all that furry. :lol: which would make it impossible to be supplying that much. You'd probably need somewhere between 100-160amp in fuses for that much power.