tranny got fv<ked up....Now it's better

Darksyde

well i found 2 pieces of case i believe in my driveway as well as a decent chunk of a spider gear. Besides that the tranny has 155000+ miles on it. This is a better time than any to rebuild i suppose.

especially if there were no other issues that the tranny was having!!!!!!!!!!!11

well its back on the road as of nov. if ya didnt notice. From the continuous driving under the circumstances i smoked everything in the tranny by not having fluid there. Believe me i seen all the parts the old tranny was shot.

well its back on the road as of nov. if ya didnt notice. From the continuous driving under the circumstances i smoked everything in the tranny by not having fluid there. Believe me i seen all the parts the old tranny was shot.

I believe it. Moving it after the failure probably ruined the rest of the tranny. I would have parked mine and gone and got another tailsection. And have towed it home if necessary.

(I am suspicious of my 95 CS having an incorrect gear ratio, it has the factory tranny and coded for 3.33 FDR... but it acts more like a 3.09 FDR. If the differental carrier was replaced with a incorrectly ratioed one... it would cause this.)

So did you try to run the car at all with the blown tranny :lol: if so did it even shift or anything, or did it kinda just sit there, iv never experienced a blown tranny before

When my first STE trans went, I just lost 1st, 3rd, and reverse. I had to stop for a redlight and the car would just sit there and free rev. Decided to pull it with my dads TGP home and once I got up to ~15mph or so it shifted into 2nd gear and I somehow managed to get the strap unhooked and I drove it home under its own power the rest of the way. (it wasn't even a mile away) As soon as I stopped it wouldn't go again.

Shawn

When my first STE trans went, I just lost 1st, 3rd, and reverse. I had to stop for a redlight and the car would just sit there and free rev. Decided to pull it with my dads TGP home and once I got up to ~15mph or so it shifted into 2nd gear and I somehow managed to get the strap unhooked and I drove it home under its own power the rest of the way. (it wasn't even a mile away) As soon as I stopped it wouldn't go again.

Shawn

Did you try manually downshifting it to see if it would move? And if you know, what failed?

4t60es can die a very strange death, when i was still working at a shop we had a 94 lumina come in, with a toasted transmission, the car would not move period, it was like it was in neutral all the time. we got it into gear once by playing with the shifter, it edventually caught once and i drove it quite fine into the shop where it was replaced in. but all we got out of it was that one move.

(I am suspicious of my 95 CS having an incorrect gear ratio, it has the factory tranny and coded for 3.33 FDR... but it acts more like a 3.09 FDR. If the differental carrier was replaced with a incorrectly ratioed one... it would cause this.)

what RPM is the engine at when you're doing 70mph?

My 95 CS cranks 2000 rpm at 60, or about 2300 at 72

My bros 94 CS cranks 2000 at 72

and my 92 lumina cranks 2000 rpm at 72

All three have a 3.33 FDR (seen in SPID and tranny tag) and have the orignal trannies.

I tested all three cars in O/D, D and while holding speed in both gears, I pressed the brake lightly to disengage the TCC

the 94 and 92 did the same,

in OD w tcc applied 2000 rpm at 72. about 1750 at 60

in OD w/o tcc applied 2000 rpm at 60. about 2300 at 72

in D w tcc applied 3000 rpm at 72 about 2700 at 60 IIRC

in OD w/o tcc applied about 3000 at 60 IIRC

the 95 CS

in OD w tcc applied 2300 rpm at 72. about 2000 at 60

in OD w/o tcc applied 2300 rpm at 60.

in D w tcc applied 3000 rpm at 60. IIRC

in OD w/o tcc applied about 3500 at 60 IIRC

So the tcc works, and all the gears work.

AND I'll start a thread later about my 91 CS tranny it needs HELP!

My 95 CS cranks 2000 rpm at 60, or about 2300 at 72

My bros 94 CS cranks 2000 at 72

and my 92 lumina cranks 2000 rpm at 72

All three have a 3.33 FDR (seen in SPID and tranny tag) and have the orignal trannies.

I tested all three cars in O/D, D and while holding speed in both gears, I pressed the brake lightly to disengage the TCC

the 94 and 92 did the same,

in OD w tcc applied 2000 rpm at 72. about 1750 at 60

in OD w/o tcc applied 2000 rpm at 60. about 2300 at 72

in D w tcc applied 3000 rpm at 72 about 2700 at 60 IIRC

in OD w/o tcc applied about 3000 at 60 IIRC

the 95 CS

in OD w tcc applied 2300 rpm at 72. about 2000 at 60

in OD w/o tcc applied 2300 rpm at 60.

in D w tcc applied 3000 rpm at 60. IIRC

in OD w/o tcc applied about 3500 at 60 IIRC

So the tcc works, and all the gears work.

AND I'll start a thread later about my 91 CS tranny it needs HELP!

well my '95 and my old '90 both were 2350rpm at 70mph. Both with original tranny's, so the only thing I can think of, if your '92 and '94 both have the same style clusters (unless you changed them), maybe the RPM reads low like my sister's '93 Cutlass did. I await your new thread, and I'll move this.