tranny got fv<ked up....Now it's better

Darksyde

Well, i'll have pics tomorrow......but the pass. side where the tranny end cone is, basically the differential housing... :evil: ..yea well it broke in half. So needless to say i'm really happy :roll: I was told the whole job with a junkyard :shock: tranny would be $1440. Well i will not go for a junk tranny so, it's either a rebuild or new. Any idea's...suggestion's....if i get it rebuilt? Figures, i've replaced every single item on the underside of that car minus the mono leaf and the tranny. So 155000 miles later the tranny finally went.

I had mine rebuilt last Oct to the tune of $2100 CND. New convertor, clutches, valve body, adjustable vacuum modulator, shift kit and whatever else they replace in a rebuilt (too lazy to look for the receipt). That included the tranny removal and installation. I've put about 30,000km on it since then with no complaints. My car now has 215,000km on it so it blew at about 185,000km.

If you can't find any cheap ones...try calling Seamen's Auto Wrecking...its in Pittsfield, Pa which is about 2.5 hours away... 814-489-3148

Two years ago, my friend bought a 45,000 mile 3300 V6 for $275 and I bought a 1989 Chrysler 318 for $150...this place is cheap...just bring your truck!

Honestly, you could probably change the transmission yourself if you have some free time...a couple weekends maybe...

is the tranny case itself broken too? Or just the end? That end aka differential housing or "tailcone" is removeable on 4T60E's. Get a new one put on, even if you replace the differential and the cover, that isn't a huge job and the tranny can stay in the car.

well i found 2 pieces of case i believe in my driveway as well as a decent chunk of a spider gear. Besides that the tranny has 155000+ miles on it. This is a better time than any to rebuild i suppose.

Speed holes? Anyway sent the car away today to get done. Figure just rebuild the whole unit. Start fresh and be good to go. Any opinions or idea's for things to tell the tranny shop as in upgrades? I've had shift kit's in cars and trucks i have owned in the past...is it a smart idea on a daily driver?

I will have my Z back tomorrow. I had them toss in a new tranny and 2 new axles. I grenaded the dif. housing. Split the spiders. Smoked the drum. As well as smoked alot of internals. So i found a guy to drop it out, get a new tranny, put it in with axles for $1400. I can't wait to feel a new smooth shifting Z again.

• 1 month later...
>The NAACP: Keeping racism alive and well since 1909.

That comment is an example of extreme ignorance and racism

WTF u talkin about? Take it to PM, dont hijack threads

So did you try to run the car at all with the blown tranny :lol: if so did it even shift or anything, or did it kinda just sit there, iv never experienced a blown tranny before

well besides the tranny being blown the diff was grenaded.......so it would move and shift believe it or not. Not very good. After about 3 quarts of tranny fluid and a 30 minute drive home it didnt wanna go anywhere anymore. Just sat there. I'd rev it to the moon and it would move like .5mph Let it sit then it would go for like 30 more yards. Then it must have just decided to shit. Cuz i limped it to the shop, and it wouldnt move after that.

well i found 2 pieces of case i believe in my driveway as well as a decent chunk of a spider gear. Besides that the tranny has 155000+ miles on it. This is a better time than any to rebuild i suppose.

true.... but if it only the differential part, I would just replace it, and consider rebuilding only when it actually starts to slip... plus you'd be back on the road faster....(potentially)