SPEC clutches???

Miko K

Is anybody using a SPEC clutch? I am looking for opinions on those, since I am looking for a nice and strong clutch that can hold the torque of my engine. So far only SPEC is rated to 450ft.lb. of torque and with a low price gets me thinking.

Clutch_Kits_Pontiac_Muscle_Stage_4_Unsprung_(3_Pad_Carbon_Disc).jpg

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/price/Pontiac/Grand_Prix/performance/Clutches-Flywheels/Clutch_Kits

Never had any experience with them in a W-body application, but I know several mustang guys running them. My brother's mustang has a spec stage II in it(rated to the same amount you listed) and it's in the 400whp range. It grabs hard and has a nice pedal feel(pretty light pedal actually, or what I consider light...I guess I got too used to my old 1963 pickup :lol: )

I am currently talking with SPEC for a Stage 3+ (semi-custom) for my TGP. That and a lightened flywheel matched for the clutch disk.

From all of the searching on the subject of aftermarket clutches that will handle the kind of power the TGP will be producing in Spring...SPEC is the only one who would discuss the application.

Their prices are definitely lower than the quality of the product...a great bang for your buck sort of thing. All of the forums I have searched for folks using SPEC clutches love them.

Nice. I have a Getrag-282 and my engine makes around 500 crank HP, soon I will be adding a turbo to make 600 crank HP, so I guess my limit is the clutch and tranny. I am thinking a stage 3, 6 puck. I guess aside from the driving comfort the sprung clutch will be easy on the tranny, more than the unsprung stage 4.

Guest TurboSedan

i'm going with SPEC Stage II next....probably sooner than later. funny thing is, my $160 Luk Rep set hasn't slipped yet. i'm not taking it for granted though....and i'm already very suspicious of the throwout bearing. i think my TO bearing might be the cause of the rattling noise i am hearing, but i also have a suspicion i may have broken my weak (tin) intermediate shaft bracket. going to check that thing tomarrow.

Well, now that I got your attention- I am trying to rebuild my 282 and I ran into trouble. I can't split the case of the damned transmission. I took out every possible bolt out of it, even the 2 pressed-in caps(shift shaft and the big one in the bellhousing. The case only comes out about a 1/2" and it stops there. What is the trick?

All I can say is do you have a service manual from a 88-93 car? It will give your directions for a tear down in there.

I don't know if anyone on here has taken apart a 282.