Big Three wiring upgrade

DRGrocho

I was looking into the Big Three upgrade;

Alt to Batt, Engine to Chassis, and Batt to Chassis

and I read that this won't help anything unless there has been an upgrade to the alternator or if the original wires are in bad shape. I was formerly under the impression that this upgrade would help in most situations.

What's the board's take on this?

I do that the first thing before I even touch anything else. sand it through the stock chassis paint with really coarse paper and put battery terminal protector grease over the bare metal you sanded.

Then I take out the deck and redo that ground with a ring terminal crimped on real good with my gardner bender crimpers.

Crimpin' Aint easy!

I have gone beyond the Big 3 and redid all main grounds and all main positive cables in the engine bay. I have noticed that the accessories are brighter, the turn signal flashes faster, and the battery seems to stay around the 14.5 volt area longer than before.

Haven't got to test my new set-up with any amps yet, but that will be sometime here soon.

You don't need to upgrade the alt. to benefit from the big 3 upgrade. like pwmin said, it won't help using stock stuff. Its really useless unless you have some power hungry aftermarket electronics in your car. ie one or two big amps, lots of speakers and some subs. If you can't dim your headlights or drop your voltage meter at least 1 notch when the bass hits, I wouldn't worry about it.

The ground is probably the most overlooked (or under rated) part of an install. Like others have said, it may not do much for your OEM system but once you plan on installing aftermarket equipment, it will make a big difference. If you are thinkig about doing it...then go ahead. Can't hurt anything...only help. ;)

I disagree, I think it will extend the life of ALL electronic components :P

Stock or no stock.

I used to go through coils, plugs, wires, brake light switches, fuel pumps, batteries, and all other electronics like they were candy.

The added stress of the system did not help I guess. But they were all weak parts from low voltage and it has been proven that our ignition system needs the full 14.5 volts to spark its hottest. It would prefer 15 volts.

I blame all my problems on the old cs-130 external fanned alternator for always overheating and not working while the rest of the car suffers.

The giant old loud ass starter I used to have was also to blame.

My car was made in 1990 so it had really old crap on it.