I didn't want to hijack a thread: Accel Coils

Chris A

From the engine pic thread,

1trucav said he had accel coils for 1 yr.

Did you actually notice any benefit? I ran them in mine for a while and didn't notice a difference. As part of trouble shooting I swapped them out for another pack/module assy I had and never bothered to put them in. I eventually sold them.

Chris

Some increases in specs should allow a little more spark plug gap, or another way to look at it, not have to close the gap down when running higher boost. Daily/normal stock driving might not show much gain till getting the wick up there.

Their specs are as follows over an OEM (wish Jacobs had specs!!):

Peak increase in energy/watts 11%

Peak increase in Voltage 10%

Peak increase in Dwell 21%

Peak increase in Current 12%

Small gains, but at least something. The dwell sounds good for turbo, a little longer spark time available to help in lighting off difficult boosted mixtures.

Jeff M

There are so many of us who had them last 1 week - few months before they took a shit that I would consider the advantages on paper to be worthless when you look at longevity. 1 year in use deserves a trophy or something.

Yea that was said in the other thread a few times about reliability, and then someone who said the latest are better, I do hope for that guy. I think Chris also knew he just wanted to know the “upgraded†spec on the coils. Mine are some of the very first, but not having time to work on my TGP no experience on them yet, but heard enough I will be swapping to the Jacobs this spring/summer. I like the MSD box that is offer, price was over $400 and now is just over $300 now at Summit so, there is at least a good ignition upgrade.

Jeff M

Glad I moved the thread! Nice talking!

yeah, those specs are about what I remember.

Stock coils are rated at what, 45kv? I guess I'm wondering who has had any spark related trouble? I know some guys have swapped out the magnavox coil on the GN's for the Type II (like ours) and noticed a gain, such as snappier throttle and being able to run a wider gap. I guess it just seems like we are already doing pretty good, and upgrading for upgrade sake just might not be worth it. If you are replacing, then sure, but I would go for Jacobs or try the MSD coils, but just not the accel. I can't say I was impressed with their quality even though I didn't experience any specific trouble.

It would be an interesting test to measure the secondary specs on stock and accel, maybe get sleeperdtgp90 to do the test since his are so easy to get to, to verify I suppose!

The dwell is definitely a benefit, and something I can definitely see happening from a revised winding method, however, I doubt the benefit and claim of any signifigant power increase.

Several guys have noticed better mileage from the MSD DIS-4, and the msd would benefit well at higher boost under 3k rpm (after 3k rpm its single spark only) as well as the two step and better rev limiter control. From what I gather, the DIS-4 increased the primary side voltage to get the secondary voltage up. I haven't really read up on how MSD stuff works, just an inference.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

damn i just saw this! no i showed zero increase in performance I already had the coils on my cavalier for 1yr+ had zero problems so i just bought one more and put them on my tgp. They have been on since I got the car in apr of 02 and no probs :D

the only negative i really heard is that the accels can't take msd's high spark!!!!! but i ran dis-2 for a yr with no hiccup so I guess to each his own :)

If it is of any benefit to anyone, I did use an MSD ignition box in a turbo car, and once the spark plugs were gapped correctly, it worked wonders. It was an older MSD 6 ignition box, using the stock coil and aftermarket wires with NGK plugs. The spark plugs needed some MAJOR gapping for the engine to run right, but once it did, it made a decent difference. (.30sec average 0-60 increase. I always tested things with an older Vericom performance computer back in 89' 90' with each single change).

I really haven't read up on the newer ignition systems, I really should.