bass, no bass, bass, no bass

stealth_lumina

I just instaled my new AUdiobahn subs. I hooked up my old amp just to make sure they work, so I am only puting 100 watts a peice to them. (they are suppposed to be able to handle 400) The thing that confuses me though is that when my trunk is closed I get hardly any bass, but when it is open I get a crap load even with the tiny amp. Its a sealed box, and the only thing I an think of is that it needs to be ported. I also dont know if I designed the box to small and if thats the problem. So I need help.

Matt

I was thinking of porting my box up through the rear deck lid, and I will get pics up as soon as I can. I should add that I have my subs facing the cabin, if I turn them around will this help? I will be going this week end to my local sound shop to, but I want your guys advice.

I was thinking of porting my box up through the rear deck lid, .

DON"T DO IT! i did that with my audiobahn subs and it sounds like ass, just do a slot port facing backwards (towards the trunk)

Is it the kind of bass that tickles your eardrums and is just one tone at like 35 Hz and aint that low, but really loud and offensive to the eardrum?

Most of the time that is the only way to give the bass wave enough room to expand and move air.

I believe the sound that comes out of a ported enclosure is even more so effected so reflecting it off the back of the vehicle disperses it better.

I have to open my sunroof to get it to expand good but then it makes my hair move and the dash shake. With the sunroof closed its not as fun having the bass cranked up.

Facing them to the rear is best, and best positioning is I'd say 6 inches to a foot from the very rear of the car (tail lights), but not totally necessary. What this does is allows the soundwave to bounce back and forth reinforcing itself before it is released into the rest of the trunk, then to the car. With the trunk open all that bass goes out and that's why it dies in the car. Also a ported box will give you better SPL but a sealed box gives cleaner sound. What you should be looking at is the specs on your subs, they will tell you what type of box they work best in as well as how many cubic feet your box should be. If your box is sealed I'd leave it that way, ported boxes generally need to be bigger, plus then you have to look at port diameter, length, and other stuff. And lastly be careful with that tiny amp, speakers can be damaged by underpowering them just as easily as overpowering them... But that's just my two cents lol :lol:

Facing them to the rear is best, and best positioning is I'd say 6 inches to a foot from the very rear of the car (tail lights), but not totally necessary. What this does is allows the soundwave to bounce back and forth reinforcing itself before it is released into the rest of the trunk, then to the car. With the trunk open all that bass goes out and that's why it dies in the car. Also a ported box will give you better SPL but a sealed box gives cleaner sound. What you should be looking at is the specs on your subs, they will tell you what type of box they work best in as well as how many cubic feet your box should be. If your box is sealed I'd leave it that way, ported boxes generally need to be bigger, plus then you have to look at port diameter, length, and other stuff. And lastly be careful with that tiny amp, speakers can be damaged by underpowering them just as easily as overpowering them... But that's just my two cents lol :lol:

I disagree. You wont blow a sub by underpowering it. You will blow it by turning the gains on the amp up to high as a result of a lack of power. Clipping/distortion kills speakers faster than thermal overload.

And as the others have said previouslly.....if you face the subs toward the front of the car you get what is called "cancelation". It is when the sound waves that are traveling forward hit the back of the seat and then reverse their direction, and thus they start to cancel each other out. The only way to effectivelly place subs facing forward would to have a clear path into the cabin.

I disagree, cancellation is only a small part of the equation, and usually only applies to ported and 2 speaker sub systems with baffles and weird stuff like faceplate vibration. the wave just needs time to expand. But the very lowest frequencies still can't be heard/felt until you point the speaker up towards the back glass. you get the lowest, not the loudest. and you hear the full spectrum of sound clearly at all levels.

I disagree, cancellation is only a small part of the equation, and usually only applies to ported and 2 speaker sub systems with baffles and weird stuff like faceplate vibration. the wave just needs time to expand. But the very lowest frequencies still can't be heard/felt until you point the speaker up towards the back glass. you get the lowest, not the loudest. and you hear the full spectrum of sound clearly at all levels.

Heres some tests that were preformed and that have been done to idicate what actually happens with the subs facing forward.

This is a quote of what they determined when the sub box was facing the cabin of the car,

"Sound actually goes forward into the car (incident wave (RED)) and also backwards to reflect off of the back of the trunk (reflected wave (YELLOW))... Both the incident wave and reflected wave get to the listener but they are way way out of phase causing mucho cancellation in the listening area. If you could open the trunk, the reflected wave would disappear and NOT reflect back into the car thus no cancellation..."

The full article can be found here..

http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html

I'm sorry but comparing the effects of what a 60 Hz bass wave does is of no concern to me as that freq. is covered by my 6x9s nicely :P

This guy does not even include wheelwell inclosures in his study? Oh yea, wheelwell sub boxes are new as The first one I ever seen was around 4 years ago, and all that guy has is some funky instruments from the 1920s looks like out of a german U-boat.

Trust me there is nothing going to stop a 20 Hz. blast that shakes the dash!

60 Hz. is midrange :lol: