what are you guys doing for exhaust upgrades?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i still have an almost completely stock exhaust system. i had the cat replaced with a test pipe way before i ever turbocharged it and just today i got rid of the 230,000 mile OLD muffler in favor of a bullett style glasspack. man i love how it sounds, and the butt dyno is telling me it definately made an improvement! i'm losing more traction than i was before in 2nd and the car pulls much better in 3rd and 4th gear now.

what about the rest of the exhaust? where would i buy mandrel bent aluminized steel bends? there isn't anything aftermarket available so i'll need to buy the mandrel bends and have them pieced together/installed right? i would like to eventually get a complete 2.5" mandrel bent system in the car. one thing i'm kinda worried about is how i'll go about replacing the 2nd downpipe...i mean the 'S' shaped downpipe that bolts to the main downpipe an runs to the underside just before where the cat would be. will 2.5" pipe bolt to the main TGP downpipe ok?

i'd like to know what some of you guys are running for exhaust....any ideas suggestions very much welcome. thanks

DO a full 3" system from the turbo back. You can never go too big on a turbo car, and 3" will support you for a long time. Do that, with no cat, and a high flow resonator, and a single muffler. Then do a single turn down tip on the passenger side that people can barely see :twisted:

Guest TurboSedan

i would do 3", but i'm worried about fitment. i know eclipse5202 did it so i know it's possible i guess.

i'm also worried about whether the wastegate is big enough to flow enough exhaust that i won't get boost creep with 3" exhaust. i know the Turbo Dodges with the small Mitsu turbo have a really small wastegate puck, and adding 3" exhaust to them will result in boost quickly creeping up to the point of fuel cut even with no boost controller installed (as in straight vacuum line between the compressor outlet fitting and wastegate can). i hope this same problem wouldn't be an issue on the TGP with 3".

if boost creep and fitment aren't a problem, i would certainly consider going 3", ecspecially since i'd like to go with a T3/T04E hybrid later on.

I plan to eventually do a 2.5" exhaust from the DP back on the TGP. No cat, and no muffs. If the sound is too much for my taste, then I'll be throwing some Magnaflows on.

Have you seen mine? Peek under my Cutlass! Its all 2.5 inch mandrel aluminized from the gutted cat back, and i got it done at Don & Moes for 180 bucks! THey are actually pretty good some places cant get the fittment right, and itll rattle in the exhast tunnel, but they did great.

About your downpipe. Since your going to be in Laramie, Go over and Talk to Andy @ Big Al's in cheyenne (East lincolnway north side of the road by the rv dealership) Hes great with exhast. He can build you anything you want!

When it comes time for a bigger turbo then mandrel would offer some help with a good flowing cat and muffler setup. Walker Dynomax UltraFlows are some bucks but flow good since they are a straight through, but are way too quiet :lol:. Walker DynoMax next step down has some internal baffling but adds a nice burble and flow very well. Straight pipes there is not too awful loud, you can hear it and it sounds nice/not like raw exhaust and as I recall did not drone on the highway, but its up to the owners taste on how much noise you want.

I got these for my TSTE since the huge openings in the lower rear bumper valance needed filling, and its a straight through with swirl ribs inside so should be quiet like the UltraFlows above, and I want the 4-door to be quite/to my likings with this car!

RACMT607_1.jpg

I imagine with the large tip on these I might get some fart-tip sound problems :lol: , so might need to run a thin liner with mineral fiber or stainless steel wool held in place with some stainless chicken wire :roll:

As for a 3 inch, you can go too big, a few guys know this but you loose momentum/velocity when you get too big, then the exhaust starts to be more of a restriction!!

Jeff M

Guest TurboSedan
Walker Dynomax UltraFlows are some bucks but flow good since they are a straight through, but are way too quiet :lol:.

Jeff M

i have a 2.5" Dynomax Ultraflo in my GTS right now, and i love how it sounds. sounds nice and deep but it is pretty quiet. my brother has 3" mandrel bent exhaust with 3" Ultraflo in all three of his TDs. definately louder but still fairly quiet. when i buy another muffler, a Dynomax Ultraflo is probably the only one i will consider. for the Cutlass...sounds like 2.5" will be enough. more than likely with no cat and single outlet.

Walker Dynomax UltraFlows are some bucks but flow good since they are a straight through, but are way too quiet :lol:.

Jeff M

i have a 2.5" Dynomax Ultraflo in my GTS right now, and i love how it sounds. sounds nice and deep but it is pretty quiet. my brother has 3" mandrel bent exhaust with 3" Ultraflo in all three of his TDs. definately louder but still fairly quiet. when i buy another muffler, a Dynomax Ultraflo is probably the only one i will consider. for the Cutlass...sounds like 2.5" will be enough. more than likely with no cat and single outlet.

Oh :shock: , then maybe having 2 on the TGP I tested these on and a high flow cat really made things quiet, thanks for correcting me with the info on your tests!!! 8)

Jeff M

Guest TurboSedan

i have no cat on the GTS - just a test pipe. it is 2.5" mandrel bent from swingvalve (also 2.5") to tailpipe. same with my brother's cars - full 3" exhaust from swingvalve to tailpipe with no cat (well....his Spirit R/T still has 2.5" swingvalve/downpipe but his Shelby and GLH have TU 3" swingvalve and downpipes). i would imagine having a cat would quiet it down further? still though i agree....the Dynomax Ultraflo is a high flowing straight through muffler but quiet too. which is good :lol:

The cat is what does most of the muffling in exhaust systems.

As for boost creep, you can port the wastegate with a dremel or die grinder to help it flow better. If room allows you can port really big and fab a larger puck for the wastegate arm.

Good info, yea the cat seems to make a pretty good difference, even though cats are not much of a restriction, the honeycomb block does some knocking down the sound waves. I really liked the UltraFlows I put on a friends TGP, only thing I did not like is looking into the inlet of the muffler and seeing the center piece of pipe sticking out with a big ridge :evil: exhaust flow is going to hit and turbulate at the place, and not sure if there are long enough extensions to grind that off, without messing something else up. But these babies do flow with next to nothing in restriction :twisted:. Those Taiwan :roll: Ractives I got look pretty good, but are missing drain/weep holes for condensation, but a drill will fix that :wink:

As for boost creep, if the turbo was bigger, even then no one has complained yet, the SyTy guys really had this problem big time, but I found the only way to get more boost out of the stock turbo is to tighten up the wastegate rod (or wire is shut) then you get 16 to 18 psi but no one in their right mind would run this without 100 octane and anything above 60 degree temps out :wink:

Jeff M

Stainless Steel 2.5 inch mandrel bent from the DP all the way to the Dual Magnaflows and SS SLP Tips 8)

NO CAT

Oooo, damn dude, you be doing it up right 8) So those are those tips I have seen on it, very nice :thumbsup: Your car is more of a sleeper every time I hear other things about it :lol: though its still elegant power from the outside appearance :wink:

Poor Kitty :cry: (killed the cat that is :lol:)

Jeff M

And I thought it was us coal burners that pissed you guys off :wink:

Back when there was the stuff, Blue Coral Wax with Autofom was the best/toughest I seen and tested. Really put up with acid rain, acidic bird droppings and all that shit, and to top it off, when you read the fine print it said this product had to be mechanically removed before any painting/re-painting was to be done :shock: that is some tough stuff, all other "waxs" can be taken off with sudsless ammonia, or body shop cleaners like AcryliClean/SherWillClean etc.

Wish they still had this, or something like it today!!

Jeff M

Kind of off-topic, but would it be possible to paint the exhaust with hi-temp enamel to prevent rust? I just re-did the exhaust on my other car and I'd rather not do it again.

Or is that a bad idea?

Well not as "off-topic" as taking about wax :bash: bad Jeff :lol:

Like any paint work, its all in the prep if you expect it to work. Our exhaust is stainless (what the ad said, should be), not sure what yours is?.. so not sure how well some paints will stick, some paints are for certain metals so I would just experiment in an area you won't see, clean the surface well, then rough it up with steel wool or fine sand paper, something to clean and open some pours for the paint to bite, any discoloration like rust and paint will not last. Most paints like you are talking about don't like to be put on thick so light even coats, follow directions on paint can, add a few more coats as needed, let dry as stated on the can. Then give her hell to see how well it lasts, maybe test a few different products to find which one works for you.

I personally gave up on high temp paints, never tough enough for me in the engine bay so went with an appearance coating like JetHot, but not JetHot as their quality control sucks often :evil: High Performance Coatings/HPC has always been very good, there are others like Swain but just to let you know, the heat will dull an appearance coating in real hot areas, still protected but if you got to have the coating stay with the same looks as new, have to cough up some bucks for their high-temp ceramic coating, much thicker and super tough but only available in flat colors that are porous and hold dust and dirt.

Good luck on what ever approach you go with :D

Jeff M

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you want it loud, like almost V8 loud, you can copy my set-up.

2.5" downpipe back. 2.5 in/out high-flow cat. 2x 2.5" in/out Dynomax Bullet race mufflers. Sounds pretty good for a V6.

Guest TurboSedan

what i am thinking i will do is go with ATP's boost activated cut-out. i could leave the rest of the exhaust system like it is now. basically....use a grainger valve MBC to operate the cut-out's actuator...hit 10psi and wham-o! take-off like a bat out of hell while your car ROARS to life! meanwhile the car is quiet for daily driving...so long as you don't hit 10psi (or whatever you set the g-valve to open up the cut-out)

kind of funny seeing a wastegate can sitting under the car....ATP has so much cool shit....

Guest TurboSedan

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-ACS-010&Category_Code=BCS

ATP-ACS-010_450.jpg

:rocking:

VES is $235, plus a $25 grainger valve MBC you can get from places like M&M Racing. seriously, if i were to get this, i would likely remove my glasspack and go with a stock (quiet) muffler and add a cat after the VES. no need for fake duals, bigger piping, or mandrel bends. this is the sleeper way of going with a large turbo exhaust. and hell, for that matter, i might even go more sleeper yet and quiet down my turbo by going with longer CAI piping instead of cone filter directly on compressor, and go with an ATP RS modular BOV that i could vent back to the intake stream for quiet operation. the TurboXS RFL BOV i'm using right now has a huge air horn that screams "this car is turbocharged!" which kind of contradicts the car's appearance.

If you want it loud, like almost V8 loud, you can copy my set-up.

2.5" downpipe back. 2.5 in/out high-flow cat. 2x 2.5" in/out Dynomax Bullet race mufflers. Sounds pretty good for a V6.

If you want the most power out of your setup, go with the biggest exhaust you can fit. I run a 3" DP and full 3" man. bent exhaust with one res. on my VR6 turbo. Nice rumble at idle, and putting around town. Screams when you run it out to 7,200. I used to run a 2.5", big difference on spool and power going to the 3" even when I turn it down to 8psi.

I'm also running the Dynomax Ultraflo's on my TGP. I LOVE how they sound and with the straight through design I know I'm getting the flow the car likes. Good luck in your quest for the right exhaust.

I've also been wondering about painting/coating an exhaust. I'm thinking of using some high temp paint on the stock exhaust on my 2000 GTP, with the proper prepping of course, and see how it holds up. I can't decide if I want to go for a black or clear coat.