Rear '94-'96 Calipers

GP1138

I don't know if anyone else is confused on this, but I didn't know when I started. The rear calipers DO have to be turned in to compress. I was under the impression that they were just pushed in, so I had to go buy a caliper piston spin tool.

FWIW, that was the easiest rear brake job evar.

All you really need to do is put a bit of pressure on the piston with a C-clamp (to break it free,) remove the clamp, then spin it with a needle-nose pliers and you're good to go :wink: ...

All you really need to do is put a bit of pressure on the piston with a C-clamp (to break it free,) remove the clamp, then spin it with a needle-nose pliers and you're good to go :wink: ...

Well, I was going to buy the pliers, but I found that

1.) The piston tool was only $2 more.

2.) It saved me about five minutes of fighting with the clamp and related BS.

3.) The savings of work was worth the extra $2.

But yeah, that was my original idea. :lol:

That's what my dad told me to do when I couldn't get them back in and it worked.

Well, I was going to buy the pliers, but I found that

1.) The piston tool was only $2 more.

2.) It saved me about five minutes of fighting with the clamp and related BS.

3.) The savings of work was worth the extra $2.

But yeah, that was my original idea. :lol:

Aah, I see. But when you get down to "brass tacks," you'd get way more "mileage" out of a pair of needle-nose pliers than you'll ever get out of that piston tool :wink: ...

Yup, only gen 2 W calipers don't turn in because they have the separate drum for the park brake. The 94-96 turn in a million times easier than the 88-93 though.

Yup, only gen 2 W calipers don't turn in because they have the separate drum for the park brake. The 94-96 turn in a million times easier than the 88-93 though.

yup...and the pads are easier to change, and they are less likely to sieze on the sliders...i could go on and on

BTW: they use the same rear brake pads as Gen II's

Guest TurboSedan

the Lumina was left out on quite a few things. it was almost like the red-headed step child of the 1st GEN W-bodies really....almost more so then the Regal. the Grand Prix and the Cutlass were practically spoiled. i think it's kind of wierd though that alot of them got ABS when most other W-bodies didn't.

the Lumina was left out on quite a few things. it was almost like the red-headed step child of the 1st GEN W-bodies really....almost more so then the Regal. the Grand Prix and the Cutlass were practically spoiled. i think it's kind of wierd though that alot of them got ABS when most other W-bodies didn't.

:werd:

The lumina did get the Duke :lol:

There's a writeup on the w-body page on how to swap out '94 and up calipers back to a 88-93 vehicle. Well worth it, if you don't mind losing your emergency brake. I had the rears done on my 93 shortly after I bought it, and then again after about 15,000 mi (done under warranty from GM). When they seized up AGAIN IN 3 YEARS I said to hell with this! I did the swap, got bigger rear rotors, junkyard calipers for $20ea and lifetime pads and have had NO problems since.

• 1 month later...

this is an example of the same tool as the autozone loaner

http://store.autotoolexpress.com/reardisbrakc.html it compreses and rotates.

REMEMBER the tabs on the piston head on the 94+ must be perpendicular to the bolt on the caliper when finished or the brakes may misfunction! (this from someone who has taken some 40+ junk ones off old cars and knows which calipers are ruined)

I've done the brake conversion several times and Lucky you might find a car with a fresh brake job like I have every time:)

Don't use antisieze, use synthetic caliper grease available at advanced auto

-ken