SuperBuick

My Z34 failed emissions, too much NOx. I've heard its either bad cat or EGR problem, and I do have a code 32 (egr). Any suggestions on getting it to pass? I don't want to just throw an EGR on it and go get it tested again, because I only have one free retest. MA is so F-ing stupid about emissions testing. If your car has a bit of dust on it, FAIL, does the owner have bad breath? FAIL, have you passed gas in the last week? FAIL. Jesus H Moses its an 11 year old car, relax, worry about all the frickin SUVs not poor little W-Bodies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - tom

Ja, but think what powerful psychics we are! :twisted:

You do realise, I am posting this with no electricity and no cable? Imagine what that kind of power can do for a car! :rocking:

Actually, I've had this cable connection for a year an a half now...

Its probably the EGR...stock closed? If it was open your car would run like ass most of the time. Cleaning it MAY help but I kinda doubt it. Pull it and clean it first cause thats cheap. The computer doesn't throw the code 32 at you unless it really is the EGR being messed up in some way.

I work on a lot of w-bodies for people in my town. I know of at least 2 3.4 DOHCs with EGR codes. You put a new EGR on, and it doesn't fix it. You check/replace the EGR tube, and that doesn't work either. It's a mystery. They still pass emissions here, though. But the computer will not put out a code 32 for EGR until after it tests it like 20-30 times while driving. That makes it hard to diagnose.

The older vac/elec EGRs (like in the TGP) were easy...you push on the plate on if the car stumbles or quits it works. Of course, those hardly fail. But the EGR tubes on those cars do fail, quite a bit. You guys with TGPs should check yours...just look for a lot of carbon crap near the bend in the pipe. If you see some, and the gasket is OK, the pipe is bad.

Jason