**** THESE TRANSMISSION

Guest RedCutlassSL

What the heck do you guys do with your trannies that they die like that?

Remember no nuetral drops for burnouts!!!! heheh... no slamming it into reverse while at 50mph, lol! or slapping it into gear while still rolling backward.

Soory to hear about your tranny though. :cry:

I have yet to lose a tranny in any of my cars.

What the heck do you guys do with your trannies that they die like that?

That's what I was thinking..

Usually us DOHC guys are the ones complaining about tranny problems, :lol:

I have 4 W-bodies and not one has had tranny problems... yet.

I bought the 94 Cutlass with its tranny already rebuilt though.

It almost seems like more people with newer W-bodies complain about tranny problems than those with older ones.

Agreed, my 1992 with 174K miles hasn't run into any problems yet (*knock on wood*) and I can't believe that like ToastEmCutlass has gone through like four and still even others are on their second or third? What do you guys do? Beat the crap out of it? Neglect the warning signs?

- RedFox340

I don't know. But to be honest, it may REALLY help if people explain how they drive and treat their transmissions. It would help to go along way to figuring out what went wrong. I have a hard time believing that with proper care, a transmission just goes out on you, unless it is from extreme miles.

What also confuses me about the DOHC trannies, is the fact that since these engines have the reputation to be a tad doggish at low RPM's, how is that going to effect the transmission? Then again I don't know a ton about auto trannies, so any enlightenment would help.

Ok, so after thinking about that, and thinking back to some of the DOHC auto posts, It seems like they have issues with shifting under full throttle.

Excuse teh language, but **** do they ever have aproblem shfting under full throttle!!!!!!

Seems half the time they decide they DONT want to shift, and the other time, it seems when it wants to shift, it shifts soooooooo hard!

Guest RedCutlassSL

ok ok, i was pissed off when i posted that, i had to reschedule a really important job interview. anyway, i wasn't hard on that tranny or anything.

last night however, i added the remainder of the the bottle of lucas tranny fix to it, and then put a little bit of atf fluid. it was fine before i did that. cuz too much fluid cuz it to do that? i looked at the fluid as i was stuck on the highway, and it didn't appear burnt, it didn't smell burnt or anything.

Nah, too much fluid wouldn't cause that.

Your tranny sounds fried.

Does the place that fixed your tranny before offer a warranty of any kind? Since it only lasted 6-months, it doesn't sound like it was fixed right to begin with.

Guest RedCutlassSL

warrantys up. the part that sucks, is i still have a 3000 dollor loan on that piece of shit. i wanna get rid of it, and buy a beater for the next 8 months until i leave for the air force. i'd rather spend 500 dollars on a pos car than 500 again on that bigger pile of dung

Damn. If you want rid of it anyway, I'd say fix it again and sell it.

You won't get hardly anything out of it if you sell it with a bad tranny.

If you put up enough of a fight, you might be able to get the tranny place to fix it for less because they obviously didn't rebuild it that well the first time around.

The problem with the DOHC and auto tranny's is that peak torque and hp occure right at WOT shift points. Being this is also right at the max rpm the trans is rated for causes even more problems. The trans quite literally self destructs. GM even programmed the PCM to cut spark right before shifts and some other stuff to make the engine as weak as possible during shifts.

Guest RedCutlassSL

here is my plan, i'm gonna buy a cheap, very cheap, like 500 dollars chevy scottsdale chev pickup preferably, and run that until i get into the air force. after i get out of tech school, i'll deal with the cutlass, i'll just keep paying the car payments. i don't care.

If it makes you feel better I've fried 3 in the first year I owned mine. First three I broke something in the diffs and eventually broke the pass side extension housing. The first two never saw any trips to the track. The third and and fourth have been sacrificed to the track Gods. They didn't die there but I'm well aware that had a big part. BTW tranny #4 is slpping badly and is on the way out. That was an AC Delco Reman that lasted 2 years and at least 100 passes. I was getting ready to do a flush and then a filter change.

here is my plan, i'm gonna buy a cheap, very cheap, like 500 dollars chevy scottsdale chev pickup preferably, and run that until i get into the air force. after i get out of tech school, i'll deal with the cutlass, i'll just keep paying the car payments. i don't care.

Those Chevy fullsize pickups never quit.

My stepdad has a '94 GMC fullsize 4.3 V6 2WD. He's had it since 4k miles and last time I talked to him about it (6 months ago or so) it had 120k. He has had to replace an AC compressor. That's ALL it's EVER needed other than regular oil changes and brake pads.

That's why when I wanted a truck, I also bought a Chevy fullsize. I bought mine with pretty high miles (96k) and so far it hasn't given me even a slight hint of a problem in almost a year.

I'd recommend to try to get an '88+. Two of my friends also own those ('88 and 92), and I'm not aware of either of them having problems with their trucks either. The guy that has the '92 used to have an '83, and I think it did give him some problems.

Well, I have 180,000km on my '91 Regal GS and my tranny runs real strong. Shifts are good, although you can feel it kick in when you go from park to drive/park to reverse, and reverse to drive sets in a little harder than I'd like. Other than that, it's real good. Unfortunately, I have the problem of having to replace all four shocks, all four tires, the muffler,

do some moderate bodywork and repaint the whole vehicle. Oh yeah, I have very poor airflow in my car, despite having a new blower motor. People say that my A/C evaporator is clogged.

BTW: Can someone please tell me what my A/C evaporator looks like and where I can find it on a 3800 TPI? I posted that question earlier and no one responded. My post is far down below... THANKS!

The problem with the DOHC and auto tranny's is that peak torque and hp occure right at WOT shift points. Being this is also right at the max rpm the trans is rated for causes even more problems. The trans quite literally self destructs. GM even programmed the PCM to cut spark right before shifts and some other stuff to make the engine as weak as possible during shifts.

I heard that's why they had to de-nut the 3.4 DOHC...to keep the trans together. Apparently, during R & D it made a lot more power than before they released it. Like many of GMs engines I'm sure.

Jason