Dynamat Xtreme... Install done! PICS!!!

19Cutlass94

Today I picked up the Xtreme trunk kit, so I can get my trunk under control. :lol: Anyone here use Dynamat? I know a couple people have e-dead. But starting tonight Ill be starting on this project. How many layers should I be putting down? I plan on doing the whole entire trunk plus maybe the rear deck lid.

yeah because I knwo some guys that put down 2 layers of it. But I guess one layer should be more than I need. But when I went down there to pick it up, they were trying to sell me the door kit. I was like thats not gonna be enough for my trunk. Then two guys had to come out and look at my trunk. But this should be fun putting in. :lol: Gonna have to take everything out of my trunk, and work on it a little each day after school/work.

What should I use to cut it? Just a like a normal knife or razor blade?

use a utility knife with a good handle on it. I was in my garage with my pocket knife ($70 kershaw 5 inch blade) that i destroyed the tip on and it was hot as FUCK. The bitch is getting the Jute and glue off of the trunk floor, good luck with that. i bought 50-60 sq feet and did two layers on the strut towers the entire trunk except lid and under the rear seat and i have some left over, enough to to the deck lid. I didn't notice much sound difference from the road, but JESUS do my subs sound better!

My tip to you is try to apply it in large sections, and get a roller to roll over it to make sure it is stuck, if u were closer i'd let you borrow mine, this is a must to make good contact. Oh and don't forget to clean the surface good before you start.

I'm a big guy and i just jumped in my trunk and got to it, two 3 hour nights and i was done, from start to finish (including cleaning, taking out 60lb subs and box :oops: , etc). Good luck with the install and if i were you i'd get some to put under your rear seats. Hope it all goes well and take pics, Heres on of mine, i'm sure you remember it. Later Jay

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF0097.jpg

Jay, thanks for the advice! Im going to start putting it in and cleaning today when I get home from school, and tonight Ill grab my uncles camera and start taking pictures. BTW do you have any pictures of the trunk lid? Just so I can see how you did yours so I dont over do it or anything.

BTW Looks awesome! Good Job

i didn't do the trunk lid YET, i have to get a cover made up to go over the e-dead before i do that, ya know the carpet one that has like a bowtie on it. Just use big sheets and it'll look much cleaner. Also put a edge down and roll it then keep going with it, don't just plop the entire piece down and expect it to lay flat. Later Jay GOod luck

Heres a picture of my trunk lid. I put one layer on every surface I could find. And next summer I may have too add a second layer.

When Applying the deadener......I just used my trusty thumbs and an utility knife. Just cut the pieces and leave them in the sun for a couple of minutes and they will become extremely plyable. ANd I would sugest getting the rear deck while you are at it. I had alot of trouble with a vibrating rear deck/window. I even put a layer on the under side of the rear pannel in the back window. And replaced the weatherstripping on all the pannels and the hight mount brake light....!!!!

But yet I still frickin RATTLE!!!!!!! :think: :rocking: :think:

DSC00045.jpg

haha jeezz, well Puggsley456, Im not putting out near what you are in terms of power, so I think once thats done, and like you said, Ill get the rear deck, probably both sides of it, that should take care of all my rattles/shakes.

Ive taken plenty of pictures throughout the process here, Ill be sure to post them once I get done, but I need to keep the camera to get the pics, because I dont have a digital camera, I use my uncles and he e-mails the pictures to me. So they will be here all at once.But as of right now, Im probably about a 1/3 done.

Jay, I found that pretty useful, just lay down a little bit, then roll the rest of it down as you go. I have that roller than you posted above. Even though its not perfect, it looks pretty good by my standards and my dads :lol:

Puggsley456, have you seen or heard of those "baffles" I guess there called from crutchfield that are suppose to stop stuff like dirt and moisture and also I guess air comeing up from the trunk and blowing the speakers? Ive tried to find it online but I cant. But Ive been thinking I should probably put that in there too while I have everything apart

Thats crazy. My trunk hasn't done that yet. but my taillights are separating.good thing I have another set.

How you gonna fix that?

Oh, and 19cutlass94 Partsexpress has those baffles, thats where I got mine, they don't help much for me though because my 6x9s woofer is disabled anyway.

Whoa, that gave me a sick-ass idea. why not reinforce all that back deck like everyone has been talking about. then mount a set of seperates with x-overs in the back. mount the midranges on the back wall panels, and the tweeters on the back deck firing up at the glass.

Now heres the best part, the holes where the 6x9s are will now let all the bass through to the car instead of slapping into a metal wall.

Jay, if you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost you for that 50-60 sq. ft.? I paid almost 180 for the trunk kit and the roller., I have pictures of those, hopfully post them tonight, but Im no where near done with that 20sq. ft. and I dont want to buy a another trunk kit because I guess it has both the regular and the xtreme. But all the sheets in there said xtreme but who knows :lol: So now I need to buy prolly another 100 bucks worth and see how far that gets me.

Jay, if you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost you for that 50-60 sq. ft.? I paid almost 180 for the trunk kit and the roller., I have pictures of those, hopfully post them tonight, but Im no where near done with that 20sq. ft. and I dont want to buy a another trunk kit because I guess it has both the regular and the xtreme. But all the sheets in there said xtreme but who knows :lol: So now I need to buy prolly another 100 bucks worth and see how far that gets me.

Wow.....you pad $180 for 20 sq feet? You should have got eDead for $1.50/ sq ft. And its the same stuff just without the logo basically.

Anyways as far as the baffles go. If you are gonna go half way.....You may as well go all the way and box in the rear speakers with MDF. Those little cup type things dont work to well.

And hey how does one get another star under their username in this forum? Maybe I should try posting in somewhere other than Car Audio...lol

Are you serious?!?! That means it would have cost me like 75 bucks for 50 sq. ft.

Fuck that just made my day.....

Well I started with dynamat, I might as well finish with it.....

How would I go about boxing the rear speakers in, while still keeping the same mounting and not chopping anything up?

you don''t need to finish with dynamat, it's the same shit without the logo!!!! Wow dude $150 for 20 sq feet! I paid 1.00 per sq foot i think for my edead, they didn't have the stuff i wanted in stock so i got the thinner stuff and put two layer in the parts that really needed it. Glad to hear it's working out well. Jay

yeah you guys are right. No sense in spending more than I have to. Im going to pick up 50sq. ft. of the edead, the heavier stuff, and Ill just do 2 layers in the trunk and deck lid. I though they were both around the same price thats why I piecked up the dynamat. I guess I was wrong.

But I should have those pictures of the dynamat tonight up for ya'll

Its not about layering it up really. its about clever use of it at the right spots and other sound deadening materials that stop the louder rattles that you dont hear until you turn up the system loud and walk around the car.

a 32"x54" sheet of generic sound deadener is $18.96. at parts express. I would use this on the floor under the back seats and on the flat sheetmetal on the trunk lid. also around the trunk walls and if you take the door panels off. But I would also use construction foam in all those places too. especially the head liner, above there. tail lights can be tack-welded, trunk lid tack welded, lic.plate tack-welded, all with great stuff foam. You will see the factory uses it , but not enough.

I did inside my doors with rubberized undercoating. Works great.