3.1 Fuel Injectors

93 Grand Prix

I heard that the 3.1 and 2.8 injectors tend to short out. Is this true? If so, how would I know? Is there a way to test injectors? Someone told me that you can attach a battery to them, and if they open, they work. Is that true?

Yeah, don't hook a battery to them, or they will die. The do use 12 volts, but for a fraction of a second. Unless you can connect and disconnect the battery in a fraction of a second. :)

Jason

Dude, you haven't fixed that yet?

Trust me on this, you need a multimeter....

they should read something like 11.7 to 12.3 ohms.

If they read no ohms, it's shorted. Ohms is resistance. No resistance=shorted. On the other hand, infinate ohms means no electricits is passing.

Test them across the injector terminals.

The reason injectors short out is mostly due to the gas we use. you know how a rock at the bottom of a river is smooth. well it's kinda like that. After about 100k miles, the fuel passing through the injector wears away at it from the inside. I'm not a tech nore have I ever taken apart an injector. This was explained to me once like this and it seemed to make sence.