• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nebojsa_o

• Prospeeder

• Kalgorn

• THe_DeTAiL3R

Yea, plenty of cars have those tires on, I didn't think there would be anything different with them in winter. I've seen many Cutties drive around with those tires on the 5 spokes, or the saw blades or whatever they are. 225/60/16, so I didn't think much of it.

Well I just finished the second rim. It seems to be as shiny, and reflective as the first one, but I can't tell too good, I'm tired, my eyes are tired, and it's kind of dark in the garage. I'll probably post pics tomorrow after work. Looks pretty good from what I can see, and those curb scratches are visible, like I knew it was gonna be, but they aren't horrible now that they are clean, and smooth.

P.S. Do you think polishing them once a month would be enough protection over winter if I don't clear coat them??? Or twice a month.. Or a hell of a lot more??

So I compared the 1st, and 2nd rim today, and the first one has a little more shine than the second one. The only difference is I did wet sanding for the first one, and all dry for the second one. So I'm gonna re-do it with 400, and 800 paper. And this here is the worst part of all 4 rims. That's the biggest damage on the only wheel that has scratches that deep.

I didn't sand below it, nor do I plan to, but since the scratch cleaned up, it's less noticable unless you're staring at it.

hpnx00087ct.jpg

See I told you one of them was very bad, lol. Still even if they were all like that one, I'd be happy, because I can't stand these hubcaps anymore. Plus I need new front tires anyways, :oops:

Well my 3rd rim is now also done, and I'm just starting the 4th. I bought some clear coat that I will apply within the next couple weeks hopefully. I will post some pics again when I get the 4th rim done too. And then I will post a picture of them clear coated, and we'll see how much shine is gone, too much is my guess, but I don't wanna have to sand them all down again after the winter. I'll post pics in a few days most likely...

Sorry man, everything is kind of getting in the way. I'm covering them up tonight and tomorrow, and then I can clear coat. I will have pictures with clear coat also, just not sure when. I might get my dad to help me paint them, when he gets back on monday. Don't worry I'll have pics of clear coat for sure once I get at least one done.

Heres my 2 cents:

If you would rather not clear coat them, dont.. Yu have the stock 15s w/ hubcaps.. Keep them around for winter use.. Make special badging that designates them "Winter Armor" or something.. And keep the xlaces around in the summer.. But hey, take that how you want..

Well I will try to clear coat them for sure. And then by the time next winter is around, if I have the money, I'll buy 2 new tires for the 15" wheels, and use them in winter. And I'll use that clear coat remover I got to get rid of the clear coat again, except this time it won't need sanding. I can just polish it up again. We'll see. I tried the clear coat on my brothers wheels, on a little area I polished up a bit, and they didn't lose as much shine as I thought they would. So we'll see. If next winter I can afford new tires, I'll strip the clear coat off of these crosslaces, and wait for the spring. :thumbsup: Thanks for the opinion though.

I clear coated 2 rims today, and they should be nice and dry by tomorrow. I will take pics tomorrow, and post on here for your viewing "pleasure". From what I saw so far, it dims down the reflection and shininess a bit, but not as much as I thought it would. The first rim I painted I did one hell of a shitty job on, but the second one was way better. I'll see what the difference is like tomorrow, and then if the second one is way better, I'm gonna strip the clear coat from the first one, and re-do it. At least it won't need sanding down again :wink:

I did 2 coats. I think that's where I"ll stop, it should be enough protection for the winter. Plus I'm planing on washing them at least twice a month or so, so I think they'll be fine.

EDIT: Pictures added. As you can see, it's still pretty shiny, just not as much as it is without clear coat. The wheel on the right in all 3 pictures is the one that's clear coated. It's better than I thought, so I'm happy with it. I'll clear coat the other 2 rims tonight. Got some masking to do now.

p10007737iv.jpg

p10007701em.jpg

p10007697vx.jpg

What do you think?

can def tell a difference but its not that bad. someone in a grand am, iirc made fun of me one night when i was cruising or whatever cause my centercaps said "ABS" :cry: :roll: . you might want to paint them or something so no one makes fun of you. :lol:

why would they make fun of you?:shrug:

i have no idea. especially someone else with a pontiac. shoulda spent their time making fun of ricers. what idiots.

those wheels should look good. not a big fan of gold on cars though, but they you'll have green for the money and gold for they honies, or however that goes. i'm rich, biatch!

haha, my favorite line, "I'm rich, biatch!" Thanks guys. Well I don't think I'll paint ABS just because someone might make fun of me. My car has ABS, so screw them. LoL, if anything, I'd like those silver ones. Kind of match the lip.

i had silver ones and i sanded the abs off and polished them. i guess the black ones you have are black plastic, though. it is kinda lame that they say abs though. i guess it was to draw attention to people since abs was sorta new when those wheels/cars were made.

Maybe CS or OLDS or the Olds rocket would be better... Doesn't really bother me for now, the day got a little complicated, so I didn't get a chance to clear coat the other 2 rims. Hopefully I'll feel like it a little later, and if not than tomorrow...

About those little centercaps, can they be removed while the wheel is on the car, or do you have to take the wheel off? I didn't know the silver ones weren't plastic, now I want them even more so I can polish them. Polished lip, and center cap. Damn I'd be cool then. 8) :lol: