• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nebojsa_o

• Prospeeder

• Kalgorn

• THe_DeTAiL3R

I thought I already said, I picked them up at Amigos. And I did go to Kelvin's Wheels, they are near 11th street now, they moved as far as I know. I live close by so I checked them out today, they were closed but Kelvin was there, and let me in, and I talked to him for a bit. It's $80 a wheel, so I'm staying away from that idea, because I need tires too, so those would be good $320 to put towards tires, even if they are some cheap brand, as long as I can put the wheels on the car. and Prospeeder, I do have to clear coat mine, because I'm 19, and that's my only car, and you're damn right I"ll drive it in winter, maybe not this winter, but probably next one, unless I use my 15" steelies every winter, that would help a fair amount...

I thought I already said, I picked them up at Amigos. And I did go to Kelvin's Wheels, they are near 11th street now, they moved as far as I know. I live close by so I checked them out today, they were closed but Kelvin was there, and let me in, and I talked to him for a bit. It's $80 a wheel, so I'm staying away from that idea, because I need tires too, so those would be good $320 to put towards tires, even if they are some cheap brand, as long as I can put the wheels on the car. and Prospeeder, I do have to clear coat mine, because I'm 19, and that's my only car, and you're damn right I"ll drive it in winter, maybe not this winter, but probably next one, unless I use my 15" steelies every winter, that would help a fair amount...

Ah now I see your post...sorry bout that

Don't worry about it...

Also I forgot to mention that I put the wheel I've been working on beside the car, and looked at it from an angle, and I gotta tell you guys, I actually like the way that Gold center is looking with my green car. Instead of making the center black or green like my car sometime in future, I might try and do the factory gold color, because I like the looks of it. I guess I'll decide how much I like it after I drive it for a month or 2, and I'll see how dirty it gets.. Another thing I like is the looks of a Cutlass with dualies, lol.

Well, I almost finished one of the rims. I just did 800 grit today. It looks so much better it's not even funny, but it still has a thing here and there, so I might have to go back to 220, 400, and 800 once the other ones are done. I'll have to paint the center near the edges, is there a special name for that GM Gold, or do I have to guesstimate? Also, any brands of clear coat you prefer over others, because I was told that most of the clear coats will just come off in a few months, especially in winter. Any advice would be great.. Here are a couple pictures for now, more coming later, and man do I need a better camera...

BEFORE:

gpwheelsbefore2jh.jpg

AFTER:

gpwheelsafter8wk.jpg

AFTER:

gpwheelsafter17wv.jpg

Tell me what you think. By the way I didn't use rubbing compound yet, and I didn't use a polisher of any sort yet.

nice, dont be a perfectionist, or ull never get done, and dont worry about the gold, its powder coat, so it would be pretty hard to match, scince there is no real paint for it. I say stripe the frickin gold and paint them, but even so, no one will notice the little bit of gold gone, so dont worry, also, clear coat, i belive it wont come off, but if ur not going to drive them in the winter, dont worry about it, just keep some mothers aluminum polish on it, i belive it protects, if not wax em, but only road salt will kill the bare aluminum

Thans :D The reason I wanna clear coat them is to put them on, and use them even in winter. Maybe I won't get a chance to this winter, depends how much money I have, and what's next on the TO DO list. So I know I wanna clear coat them, but I'm just not sure which clear coat to use... :?

I'm surprised that it didn't take that long, I mean it did, but it wasn't as bad, and as long as I was thinking it would be. I thought it would be a long winter project, but once I got under the clear coat, the stuff came off very easy.

What's the best way to clean that gold stuff up? Something too strong would eat away the powder coating. What's strong enough to remove the brake dust, and all that shit stuck in between the spokes??

Well I finished the first one, still didn't clear coat it, I'll do that when all 4 of them are done. I used rubbing compound, and some alluminum polisher I had sitting around. It's not too bad at all. Here's some pics..

gprimsafter57oz.jpg

gprimsafter38rf.jpg

I'm starting the 2nd one today evening, and I'll take the one that has the big scratches on it, and little chunks missing, I hope it turns out half as decent as this one.

Thanks guys, yea I'm pretty pleased with the results too. Still no C-BAD's rims, but look very nice.

Prospeeder: When you say cleared do you mean cleaned, or did you clear coat them?? If you clear coated, what clear coat did you use??

Thanks guys, I'll have pics of the 2nd one also, as I go on. Man do I feel cool now, LoL. 8)

Yea I'm scared of fucking up with clear coating.. What's better to lay the wheel down flat, and start spraying, or have it in an upright position, probably flat down, eh? Also, should I clear coat the gold in the center?? And what about all that aluminum on the inside of the tire, and where the brake discs are, clear coat that too??

Yea I'm scared of fucking up with clear coating.. What's better to lay the wheel down flat, and start spraying, or have it in an upright position, probably flat down, eh? Also, should I clear coat the gold in the center?? And what about all that aluminum on the inside of the tire, and where the brake discs are, clear coat that too??

Once you get the gold cleaned up and all the brake dust/grime off that you possibly can without sanding and repainting, I would clear the entire front of the wheel. Lip and spokes. The clear will protect the polished aluminum and help to shine up and protect the gold spokes. Personally, I don't see a problem with spraying clear over the clear that's already on the spokes but if there can be a problem from this, someone please speak up.

Yeah right, right after I finish my brothers, and my friends, lol. My brother is interested in polishing up his z24 rims now that he saw mine. Probably won't make the cavalier look any better, hahaha. But thanks for the comment.

You did good work on those rims, I wouldn't clear coat them though.

Any reasoning behind that?? :?

I would like to leave them this way too, but I plan on using them in winter most likely, so I don't want them to get all fucked up again. Or would once a month winter polishing/waxing be enough protection??

P.S. thanks for the comment.