Messing with my vacuum lines again

Kalgorn

Still can't get my goddamn HVAC to work and I'm getting WAY too frustrated. Apparently I need to find the check valve. Well, can't find it. No clue where it is. I pulled my entire air box out today and messed around under the hood for about 2.5 hours.

Can't find this check valve I'm supposed to have. I don't even know what it looks like. Anyone have a picture of one/it? Also, I found another vacuum line disconnected, but I have no idea where to connect it to. I can't figure out where it runs to either. So I went to Autozone and picked up some vacuum hose (small hard hose). I decided to disconnect the cruise servo side of the vacuum T and hook up this new line I found. Still no HVAC...

I just cannot figure out where this check valve is or what this new line is. I got pictures of the new line though:

Middle of the picture.

wtfisthis1.jpg

Left side. Tried to get the washer fluid tank in the picture so you can get an idea of where this hose is.

wtfisthis2.jpg

Bottom of the picture. That's the cruise servo in the upper right. You can see the top line on the servo is pretty cracked. Could be causing a problem too but I can't figure out where the line runs to. I lose it everytime I try to follow where it goes.

wtfisthis3.jpg

The vacuum diagram I have doesn't help too much either.

Locate the vacuum canister under the driver's side fender. Trace the vacuum line from that back up from behind the battery and onto the inner fender wall. Is it connected to anything? I know that it's not the open line that's shown but that canister should be connected to the same main line as that elbow.

I did check the vacuum ball. It was connected on both ends and, yes, it does connect to the main T.

You rock! That diagram is awesome! I'm looking it over now and checking GMPD for a check valve just in case I need to order one.

Okay, so I went out to look at it in the dark with my underhood light my dad bought me. :lol:

That line I found... it's the goddamn HVAC line! Supposed to be connected to the 3-way check valve... the check valve that I'm pretty sure I don't have. If I remember correctly, my cousin DID have this engine out of the car. I vaguely remember him saying he basically rebuilt it at one point so I dunno if he lost the check valve or what. Now I gotta locate a check valve. Can't find it on GMPD... not listed under emissions routing.

If someone finds the part # for me, I love you long time. ;)

I don't think you can order from the ACDelco website and there isn't a retailer around here. I think I'm going to try the local Autozone and see what they have. Then I'll go to NAPA.

Heading to Autozone after school today. Thanks for all the help everyone. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Not like I'll get a ton of use out of the AC now that the weather will start getting cooler, but at least I will know it's there. :)

Just FYI, you know those "HELP" brand products they sell at most auto parts stores? That's where I found the 3-way check valve that I ended up buying for my parents' Cutty Convert. So if you can find one of those, then it's an "off the shelf" part...

So I got a check valve from NAPA today for like $2.58, put it on... nothing. :bash: This is ridiculous!

So I got under the car again and checked the line running to the vacuum ball since I didn't look at it too well last time. Got a light under there as well. What's this? The line is either corroded or melted.. it has (had) one of those ribbed sleeves on it but it looks like part of it was melted to the line. Well, I picked up some new line yesterday so I hooked up the new line in the old one's place.

STILL NOTHING!

I have absolutely no idea what it is now. From what I can tell, all the lines I have are hooked up. There shouldn't be anything else. The soft hose from the cruise servo is pretty worn and rubs off into my hands, but it doesn't look like it is cracked all the way through to cause a leak. Could this be the problem anyway? I plan to replace it just to get it done.

What else could be wrong? Could the vacuum ball be bad? And if it is, would cruise work?

I'm on edge here... I'm completely out of ideas now.

Check valve on backwards?

Does other vacuum-controlled items still work?

If not - i'd follow the line from the engine to the ball - or the plunger for the HVAC is bound... :?

Check valve should be fine. I followed this diagram:

luminahvacvacuum7cc.jpg

I went on the assumption that the "to engine" line is the one to the MAP sensor. And if that diagram is correct, then the check valve is on correct.

The cruise worked this morning. Haven't gotten to try it since I put the check valve on and replaced the vacuum ball line but I should get an opportunity to try it tonight and get back to you.

while the cars running, pull off a line, and put ur finger on it, if it sucks ur finger, u have vacuum, or spray somthing like carb cleaner in and if the engine idle changes u have a vacuum, thats a great way to check for leakes, spray carb cleaner on trouble spots

Start the car and hold your thumb up to the line in question. Listen for it whistling, or if it'll suction your thumb when you try to "cap" it.

Or better yet, put a little bit of carb cleaner in a bottle cap, hold it to the vac line and see if it'll suck up the fluid...

Okay, my cruise doesn't work now. I'm so lost... I don't see how the check valve could be on backwards. I put it on the same way it's shown in the diagram that was posted.

I need to take the time to check for vacuum in the lines or something. I dunno.

FIXED!

Check valve was on backwards. According to the diagram it was on correctly but I took it out and tried sucking both ends and found out it was on wrong. So now my AC "works" but it has to be recharged. I'm just gonna have it converted to r-134a. Don't see a point to sticking with r-12.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I'm just glad it was a cheap, simple fix and nothing crazy like having to tear apart the dash.

• 2 weeks later...