Turbo on the 3.4 Twin DOHC

jc2003ss

JC2003SS,

First off, welcome! So you've got a 4-door Lumina DOHC? Excellent, not many have those. Aeroform.com has a four piece ground effects package...

http://www.aeroform.com/catalog/chevy_lumina_1988-94_1145071.htm

And some better pictures of the Razzi.com kit...

http://www.digitalstorefronts.com/store/temp6.asp?cartid=3678&ItemNum=034-100

As for an type of forced induction, the LQ1 DOHC doesn't have any friends in the aftermarket world. Patgizz is right, we can (at the moment) do our own jobs and hopefully come out with a well-working boosted 3.4L. If you know a few things, PM RedZMonte to get the latest on his project... if all goes well, I hopefully would like to team up and have a handful of boosted DOHC in Colorado.

PatGizz,

Why a regular 4T60 tranny? Electronics are a problem with turbocharging an DOHC with 4T60-E? Want to know more... please post! (perhaps new topic?)

basically, the computer needs x for each operation. most anyone trying this is gonna use a modified TGP code. the x for the reading of the 2 bar map sensor on the tgp code is the same x as the control for the 4t60-E trans from what i have been told. therefore you either have x or x, you cant have both.

been checking out options, it would be possible to piggyback in another ecm with a stock chip to control the trans, but the amount of wire splcing and the associated mess turns me off big time.

so ive got my 94 with the 3.4 that i put in it. im figuring on picking up a 4t60 and building it with all the best parts i can find, grab a wiring harness off a 91-92 with 3.1/4t60, and work with that. that way i can use the tgp code, modify it to my liking, and pretty much modify the rear manifold and crossover and bolt it on.

got a 91 3.1/4t60 car that ill have pretty soon that i plan on putting a tgp setup on, just found another one after having my last setup stolen/sold.

basically, the computer needs x for each operation. most anyone trying this is gonna use a modified TGP code. the x for the reading of the 2 bar map sensor on the tgp code is the same x as the control for the 4t60-E trans from what i have been told. therefore you either have x or x, you cant have both.

been checking out options, it would be possible to piggyback in another ecm with a stock chip to control the trans, but the amount of wire splcing and the associated mess turns me off big time.

so ive got my 94 with the 3.4 that i put in it. im figuring on picking up a 4t60 and building it with all the best parts i can find, grab a wiring harness off a 91-92 with 3.1/4t60, and work with that. that way i can use the tgp code, modify it to my liking, and pretty much modify the rear manifold and crossover and bolt it on.

got a 91 3.1/4t60 car that ill have pretty soon that i plan on putting a tgp setup on, just found another one after having my last setup stolen/sold.

You have it easy like i Do. a 1994 is a MAF based car. MUCH easier to boost. Don't bother with the TGP chip or switching back to a MAP sensor.. Granted you can use a AFC with the map cars... but the MAF cars you just need to put the maf infront of the boost and then add your own fuel.

Fuel upgrades i am going to use:

* Walbro 255hp pump

* Vortech FMU (10:1 or 12:1)

* ZZPerformance "Mini AFC" (works with any GM 3 wire MAF)

after that i might check into injectors if need be.

RedZ

ah but i dont have it easy like you do.

my car was originally a 3.1 and over the summer i put in a 3.4/trans out of a 91. so its MAP. i COULD probably get a 94 dohc harness and convert from map to maf, IF i could find a harness/computer without the engine or car attached.

ah but i dont have it easy like you do.

my car was originally a 3.1 and over the summer i put in a 3.4/trans out of a 91. so its MAP. i COULD probably get a 94 dohc harness and convert from map to maf, IF i could find a harness/computer without the engine or car attached.

nice. map cars are easy as well. again control your own fuel and bleed off the bost before the map using a checkvalve..

RedZ

You can play with toys on that MAF or you can do it much better with the TGP code. Ill take accuracy and tunability any day.

If you make a Chip for my car that reads the boost i will be more then happy to run it.. I don't have that louxiry... not to mention i am MAF based not map.

Turboing a N/A car is all about tuning with "Gizmos and gagets" the MAP based cars can use a AFC to tune the fuel per 500rpm (apexi S-AFC).. ZZP is making one that will work with my MAF car. it will work just as good as a DFI. I garuntee 99% of the NA cars that have been trubed do not run any sort of DFI system. I have watched a 10sec CRX run on a Stock ECU.. infact he was proud of that fact the out side of the car said "STOCK ECU". My roomates Type R ran a 13.5 using a checkvalve and a FMU on a 100% stock car w/ our custom trubo kit. He is making 282hp at the wheels COMPLETELY UNTUNED on a 1.8L 4cyl!

RedZ

Shane, nobody is arguing with you that your FMU, checkvalve, whatever won't work, just that there are different ways to do it and to us a tuning the ECM to control the boost is best. And if you think it will cost much more $, I paid $50 for a wiring harness and ECM. Thats it.

Shane, nobody is arguing with you that your FMU, checkvalve, whatever won't work, just that there are different ways to do it and to us a tuning the ECM to control the boost is best. And if you think it will cost much more $, I paid $50 for a wiring harness and ECM. Thats it.

I understand that.. U was just saying being MAF based i don't need the PCM and i don't have the ability to modify the TGP letalone my existing chip to handle it.

FMU=$120

checkvalve=$2

time to install it will be MUCH less then rerighting a full PCM code... I understand there will be a point where a FMU and a checkvalve will not suffice.. but on our stock motors (Stock internals) I will not need any of that.

RedZ