Looking for GTP-Do I need premium gas?

SnowDrift

My wife and I have decided we don't need her Suburban any longer, since we rarely haul more than the four of us around. We're going to buy a Grand Prix GTP ('97-'00 range). Is the requirement for this 3.8 s/c for 91 octane? I've never heard this in the past, but if it's the case, I'd sure like to know now, rather than have a surprise later.

Thanks,

SnowDrift

The GTP will run on regular, I know a guy that has a 97-98 that has never seen premium and still runs fine. Maybe not recommended, but possibly the car takes a little timing out of it to adjust for the lack of octane?

the GTP is more my thing, so I'm heading that route. She and I have already picked out a hood for it and the next step for me is to try to find an AFE air filter for it. (and we haven't even located a definite car yet :P )

I just talked to one of the guys I work with that has an '01 GTP. He said he runs the medium grade once in a while, but usually runs the low octane.

im getting 37.5 MPG HWY with my stock GTP ..... not that bad for a big family car ... would you believe my GT turbo gets way more ... like 750+/tank ..

gotta love using free boost ..

im getting 37.5 MPG HWY with my stock GTP ..... not that bad for a big family car ... would you believe my GT turbo gets way more ... like 750+/tank ..

gotta love using free boost ..

And by 750 you mean kmpg?

if you can afford the car ... you can afford to put the right gas in it .. it may cost ya a few cents more / tank but allot less than a new engine ... my not make a big diff one time or to get ya out of a jam but dont do it on a regular basis ..

The GTP will run on regular, I know a guy that has a 97-98 that has never seen premium and still runs fine. Maybe not recommended, but possibly the car takes a little timing out of it to adjust for the lack of octane?
Of course it will run. But get a scanner on it and check the knock. :lol:

people who put regular unleaded in a car that requires premium aren't very smart

:werd:

any unleaded car will technically run on any grade gas. the higher octanes required for the L67 are to prevent knock. Granted it will run lower octane but you are gaurenteed some knock if you do. While this may not affect you now over the long term (50k, 100k) it can mean engine failure.

In the summer its even more important to run high octane in the L67 as it is even more pre-disposed to knock in the summer heat.

Trust me GM does not tell you to run premium in the owners manuals just because they like to see you spend more money on gas.

people who put regular unleaded in a car that requires premium aren't very smart

:werd:

any unleaded car will technically run on any grade gas. the higher octanes required for the L67 are to prevent knock. Granted it will run lower octane but you are gaurenteed some knock if you do. While this may not affect you now over the long term (50k, 100k) it can mean engine failure.

In the summer its even more important to run high octane in the L67 as it is even more pre-disposed to knock in the summer heat.

Trust me GM does not tell you to run premium in the owners manuals just because they like to see you spend more money on gas.

Yeah, plus, its not even intercooled!

mid-grade is usually acceptable on n/a engines that say prem. reccomended. i dunno about s/c or turbo applications though.

There is a difference in cars that say "Premium Fuel Recommened" (i.e. - SHO) and "Premium Fuel Only" (i.e. - Northstar Caddy)

kmpg? use either miles per gallon or kilometres per litre but dont mix them up, you'l only confuse everybody. kilometres per litre is far more accurate but I guess not too helpfull if your in a country that still uses miles