Cruise Control Not Working

kfahn

Car: 1995 GP 3100

150,000 miles

When I purchased the car, the cruise control worked. Several months ago, it started to go on the fritz. Now it is completely inoperative. The column lever still works for the turn signals and the wipers. I have checked all of the fuses that are involved, and the ground to the module is fine.

What I am asking is whether anyone else has run into a similar problem, or has any advice to get this working. I am guessing that it is either a faulty cruise module or the wire in the column is bad, but only guesses.

First thing to check is the brake pedal switch. Sometimes the switch works its way out of its "hole" and due to this, the switch isn't pressing down on the brake lever so the brake lights are on all the time. It's simply a matter of crawling under the dash, finding the switch (above the brake pedal's arm) and pressing it back down into proper position.

Secondly, the multifunction lever could be faulty. The lever only actuates the signals and the wipers (there are no electrical connections for either in the lever itself) but it does house the "electronics" for the cruise. Look on the back of the lever closest to the column and you'll find 4 tiny wires (red, yellow, green, blue) running out of the lever and into an electrical connector inside the column. Make sure the wires aren't broken and the connector is properly plugged in. If everything looks fine and you want to change out the lever, simply unplug the connector and pull the lever straight out (installation of the new lever is the exact opposite of removal...)

is it really that simple to replace the lever? I was under the impression that you had to pull the steering wheel and several other components to get to it.

EDIT:

Also, the brake lights are fine, meaning they do go off, so I don't think that that is the problem, (though I will check anyway)

Yes it is that simple, and no you don't have to remove the wheel. The only time you would need to remove the wheel is if you had to replace either the wiper or signal switches. The lever is only an "extension" (so to speak) of both. You'll see exactly what I mean after you pull the lever out :wink: ...

looks like I will be going to the junkyard tomorrow to pick up a spare cruise control module and lever. Also, thank you very much DiscoStudd for the wonderful advice. The lever came out fine, but the wires are completely intact. I'll just replace it for the hell of it. An update will come in a few days!

well, no luck on the lever. Got two replacement ones (junkyard) and neither of them did the trick. I think that I will have to test whether there is any power getting to the unit at all. Everything else that has been mentioned has been checked.

Any more suggestions?

Sorry to hijack, but Disco, what other cars' turn signal switches are compatible with the '94-'96 GP one? I want to find one with no writing rubbed off, and I could probably sneak one out of the j/y or get a deal on it. :lol:

kfahn Try changing out the servo next. Look for a box mounted to the driver's side strut tower that has a cable running to the throttle body.

Sorry to hijack, but Disco, what other cars' turn signal switches are compatible with the '94-'96 GP one? I want to find one with no writing rubbed off
94-96 Regal

94-97 Cutty

95-99 Monte

95-01 Lumina

Those cars' levers all have the proper connector for the cruise switch. FYI, you can physically install any GM signal lever from 1981-on, but the connector for the cruise switch will be different. Most of the cruise switches on the 80's GM levers had a wire that ran down the length of the column (it didn't plug into the wiper switch.)

and I could probably sneak one out of the j/y or get a deal on it. :lol:
Now thaswhatImtalkinbout! Shove it straight down the front of your pants and they'll be none the wiser :lol:

Check both ends of your negative battery cable. If the connections aren't clean and tight, your cruise module can lose its memory intermittently even if all your other accessories work OK.

• 10 months later...

kfahn-

Did you ever get your issue resolved?? I am in the same boat here.

95 Cutlass Supreme. Have replaced the lever like you. Even tried a 97 sedan's cruise module in my 95 convertible, that didn't work, but I'm not sure whether it should have or not.

Brian