How do I get dashboard speaker grills off? '88 Cutlass

BuickMan

I am trying to get the dash grills off so I can replace the blown speakers. I tried prying them off but they didnt budge. Am I going to have to go through the dashboard? Can anybody give me instructions? I am replacing the whole stereo system 8)

1988 Cutlass Supreme FWD 2DR Coupe

There are 5 phillips screws above your instrument cluster and radio, then the grey plastic around there pops off it's holders. Then there are 2 7mm screws inside the area you just opened up, one below the cluster and one below the radio. There are 2 7mm screws in the glove box, under your insert for the fuses, pull them. Then there are 3 (I believe) 7mm screws in the defrost duct that need to be pulled, then the upper dashpad comes out.

I started taking out the 5 Phillips screws. When I got to the last one I found out the head is totally stripped! :( looks like the previous owner didnt have a clue on how to use tools. Now I have NEW PROBLEM! :(

Anybody know how I can get this screw out? I cant grab the screw with vice grips because the plastic is in the way

I started taking out the 5 Phillips screws. When I got to the last one I found out the head is totally stripped! :( looks like the previous owner didnt have a clue on how to use tools. Now I have NEW PROBLEM! :(

Anybody know how I can get this screw out? I cant grab the screw with vice grips because the plastic is in the way

crowbar.jpg

Go Half Life on it. :lol:

the way my luck is going, when I finally get the dash pad off, the car might blow up

:dammit:

it has happened before

:lol: my friend had an Olds like that and the wire harnesses in the dash melted and smoked all the time. Very similar to the TGP in SOME ways. :oops: actually too many ways.

The TGP has on hidden under the dash, and you have to take out the glove box and feel under the dash. I think my friend said his Cut had the same screw hidden there.

Then there are 3 (I believe) 7mm screws in the defrost duct that need to be pulled

you mean the defrost duct at the windshield? How do I get those screws out? The windshield is in the way :dammit:

Man i had the same problem. So when i took the dashpad off i just removed those crappy flimsy grills and drilled in infinity 6x9 grills. They stick up a tiny bit and may look a little hokey to some but i like it....plus you can look down in them and see the speaker which is pretty rad.

FINALLY got the screw out. Getting this dashpad off doesn't look like its gonna be much fun. The guy at Circuit City told me it takes him 3 hours to replace dash speakers on the 80's Cutlasses :bash:

I think the guy at Circuit City is a dipshit. I can pull the speakers in the dash and rear deck (both) in 25-30 minutes tops. Maybe on the old G-body Cutlasses, but definitely NOT a W.

Circus city is more like it, i honestly wouldn't trust a word those car audio installers, or salesman have to say. They are trained very poorly and often have little experience. BUT maybe for some reason the one at your hometown has seasoned comptent audio veterans and installers. Sorry, i've just had plenty of encounters with their advice, installations and negligence. I have stories, believe me. Anyway, 3 hours is completely bogus. It will be kind of empowering after you take that dashpad off, you'll feel like more of a man. Honestly. Way better than having those circuit city bozos doing it for you, and you'll know its done right. What kind of speakers are you putting in there?

I am using 4" and 6x9 Pioneer speakers on the front and back, the ones with the blue cones with a Pioneer 4700 receiver. I'm not gonna install any amps or subwoofers. I want to have my hearing when I get older :mrgreen: