Another ceramic pad question.

ron350

Looking for information on the AC Delco Durastop Ceramic brake pads.

Does any one know if these AC pads are the same as Raybestos QuietStop ceramic pads?

Looked at a set of Morse ceramic pads at AZ for the back brakes (#508C) and I was very disappointed. These pads did not have an anti squeal backing shim plate and had a rough sand blasted finish.

I have no idea if they're the same. However, what kind of rotors are you using? stock?

I was going to use ceramic pads a while ago, and then I read here ( & elsewhere) that they did not work well with our OEM and OEM equivalent rotors. Infact, people reported that they lost braking power, and had increased stopping distances. This was especially the case with stock rotors. I know you're probably looking to use the ceramic b/c there's almost no dust on your rims, and it seems like a better idea. I would advise you not to use the ceramic pads unless you are using drilled or slotted rotors. That's where using the ceramic pads has the best results.

I would just recommend that you use high quality metallic or semi-metallic pads if you have OEM or OEM equivalent rotors.

If you have the OEM rotors and plan on using those, use a semi-metallic pad. Either raybestos or wagnar brake pads. Also if you want to spend the money, you can get either one with the professional grade thats garanteed for as long as you own your car. So in other words you wear them out, you bring them back, you get free brand new pads.

I have the Raybestos Quietstops, recently swapped from the OEM pads. And can definitely concur that I don't think they work quite as well, but I live in an area with minimal speeds and braking requirements.

brakepads.jpg

ya somthin I've talked to with a few guys about is quality aftermarket brakes. people want to put the best pads possible on so they go with ceramic, high heat, race application stuff and than theyre pissed because they qet squealin or shit stopping power with theyre stock rotors, calipers etc etc. theyre both ceramic but I bet thats where they stop being exactly the same

like a friend told me before, unless you wanna some real cash, your best bet is gonna be new delco rotors, pads and fresh fluid everytime you swap. and maybe a new set of front calipers every 5 years or so.

Semi-metallic is the best way to go for around town, daily driving, highway etc use. Anything less and they just dont stop as good. Anything more, and you have to race your car to get the brakes up to temp for them to really work.

Last christmas I did a full rotor and pad swap on my Lumina. I went with Duralast Gold rotors and carbon-metallic pads, and have been very pleased with their performance so far.

Yup. I was suckered into the, "these things cost more, so they must be better" mantra with the ceramics.

I had the wheels off for tyre rotation and brake bleeding recently -- after 10k, they had absolutely no detectable wear on them.

I put a set of Raybestos QS's on my old Loomie 2 years ago, and they warped the rotors after a year of service. When I changed the pads/rotors, I noticed the QS's still had plenty of "beef" left on them. They were definitely quiet and dust-free, but I can concur that they didn't stop the car for shit.

I've tried semi-metallics, carbon-metallics, and ceramics, but the pads that I'm most impressed with are Raybestos PG Plus. They're a good balance of stopping power, low dust, and absolutely no squealing. Due to all of the trade-offs, they are about middle of the road as far as pad life goes, but that's par for the course I guess...

So DiscoStudd, you threw out a perfectly good set of ceramic pads cuz they were really that bad?
Yeah, I guess you could say that. I decided at that time to "shift gears" and go with a set of Carbon Metallics, plus I was pissed about the rotors warping, so I gave 'em the boot. They weren't exactly in "new" condition, but they did have a surprising amount of friction material left on them. C'et la vie...