connecting to the battery

Cam'ron

2003 monte carlo ls

i want to connect my amp/sub today but i would like to know what is ideal as far as connecting to the battery, should i connect direct to the battery or can i use the aux battery terminal as shown here...

18319460259-thumb.jpg

the red cap just to clarify

also where the hell do i get the power wire through the firewall... i saw one grommet on the drivers side but i couldnt find anything on the passenger side

I'm pretty sure the aux will work just fine, as long as you're not running like 2000 watt amp. That's how I have mine connected and have had 0 problems with it for over a year. be sure to have a good ground though. and I dont think theres another grommet on the passenger side, but i dont know anything about newer w-bods

http://www.impalahq.com

Seeing as the Impala is nothing more than a 4-door Monte (under the skin anyways) this site has plenty of good tech tips that work on the Monte as well. They do have a write-up on where to connect up your amp wiring and where to pass it through the firewall...

Everything I have is hooked up to the aux. and no problems. Thats with roughly 1000w of power too. As for the firewall, there should already be wires going through it somewhere on the drivers side, more than likely the right of the master cylinder and down a wee bit. but thats where my wires are ran through the firewall. Dont know if there in the exact spot, but shoud be somewhere round that.(not sure on the newer ones though)

yeah thats the one i did see, i would just like to do as little plumbing as i have to. Could i run the power lead down the driver side with the harness... i am assuming the harness is there as well, or would a power wire even be close to the harness if i am just tucking it under stuff enough so that it cannot be seen

Let me add my little pearl of wisdom here...lol :lol:

The reason I wouldn't connect my power wire to there is because the wires comonlly used for those aux connections arent that great. And think of it this way.....You Ideally want to use as high a quality power/ground cable as you can. So why would you connect your power lead to there, and then have to finish the circuit using the factory wiring? GO RIGHT TO THE BATTERY!

Mine goes right to the isolator. But you could go right off the alternator if you don't have a battery in your trunk. I guess what I mean is it would not matter battery or aux. post unless you disable* the factory charge wire and put in a new 4 gauge charge wire over to the aux. post.

* using both wires will split the voltage 8)

Mine goes right to the isolator. But you could go right off the alternator if you don't have a battery in your trunk. I guess what I mean is it would not matter battery or aux. post unless you disable* the factory charge wire and put in a new 4 gauge charge wire over to the aux. post.

Thats what I did. I put in a new 4 guage power wire from my alt to the battery with a 125 amp inline fuse. To bypass the aux terminal for my stereo.

* using both wires will split the voltage 8)

well close...but not quite. The voltage if all is equal will take the path of least resistance...which should be the new power cable when a large strain is put through the charging system. Its just you cant totally bypass the aux terminal because of the fuse box on it.

"]* using both wires will split the voltage 8)

well close...but not quite. The voltage if all is equal will take the path of least resistance...which should be the new power cable when a large strain is put through the charging system. Its just you cant totally bypass the aux terminal because of the fuse box on it.

I was referring to the charge wire, not bypassing the aux. terminal.