you guys with 5-speeds....

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

my Turbo Cutlass 5-speed is extremely difficult to drive...it BUCKS like crazy!! i have to be very careful with the gas pedal ie. very slowly release or step on it when i'm in gear and i need to accelerate slightly or decelerate slightly. it's driving me nuts. i am constantly depressing the clutch just so it doesn't start bucking :roll: sometimes it's so bad that even the tachometer will start bouncing up and down while it bucks. it's very hard not to make the tires chirp when i'm in 1st gear trying to drive really slowly (like thru a parking lot). it's pretty bad in 2nd gear too, and even 3rd gear can be problematic. 4th and 5th are fine.

why does it do this? i had the very same problem with the car back when it was naturally aspirated and using an unmodified NA 3.1/5-speed chip but it's ALOT worse now.

i'm going to be getting some FFP dogbones to help alleviate the problem, but what is actually causing this? anyone else here having this problem?

thanks

Something about the deceleration code in the chip that causes it.. I don't think it's 100% what it should be.

Mine does it to.. I've learned to live with it, but it does get annoying as hell sometimes.

It has to do with the fact that the VSS is not proper to the actual speed of the car. Also the throttle follower settings. I actually had it fixed on one of my chip versions but the disk was lost between my house and my workplace to re-burn the chip.

If Luke sells me back his car I will have a fix for it when I have a platform to test on... :wink:

Guest TurboSedan

oh yeah my speed is all messed up. i'm figuring the speedometer to be about 24% off right now. when the car is going an actual 30mph, the speedo reads 23mph. when the car is going an actual 75mph, the speedo reads 57mph etc etc.

Guest TurboSedan

i drove the car tonight delivering pizza. first time i had really gotten to drive the car around for awhile. i got alot of "practice" in and am getting better at controlling the bucking, but i think some FFP dog bones will REALLY help out more than anything.

on a side note, the car did great tonight! it was kind of wierd seeing zero oil pressure on the guage and the oil light was flashing, but that of course is just the bad sending unit. i even ran it up to 5000 RPM before shifting and it sounds awesome and keeps pulling unlike before. checked oil after work, still full and almost transparent gold. i was showing one of my friends the car tonight. he drives a '90 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo currently running 11psi, and i held right next to him through 2nd gear (we only gunned it through 2nd and let off). the Cutlass did great though, i'm surprised i held right with him consiering i'm at 4-5psi and he was at 11psi. his Shadow will take my GTS with both cars running the same boost level so that's a good sign the Cutlass is going to STOMP with 10psi :mrgreen:

more signs of bad seal somewhere in the turbo though. on two seperate deliveries tonight i left my car running on the street, only to look back at the car while i was delivering the pizza to the customer to see smoke pouring out the tail pipe. both times it happened the smoke stopped completely as soon as i drove off.