Is there any goofy wiring

DRGrocho

Is there any goofy wiring on my car that I should know about before I tear into it. I heard that on certain cars, things like ignition or remote entry would be wired within the harness with the stereo and that removing the stereo renders these things useless. Am I going to have to worry about this?

99 Lumina LTZ

Also, what are the electrical components that control frequencies allowed through a line called. Not an equalizer, but these are physical objects that are wired in series with the "input" side of the speaker

i don't believe any gen 1 or 1.5 ws got a bcm. i think that's more of a 01+ gm thing. i know the 01 alero requires a module to be installed in place of the headunit for everything to work properly. all you should need is an adapter for your aftermarket hu.

Also, what are the electrical components that control frequencies allowed through a line called. Not an equalizer, but these are physical objects that are wired in series with the "input" side of the speaker

i believe you want a passive crossover

Those "things" that you wire in series with the speaker lead are called "Bass Blockers." Crutchfield sells them.

The Luminas never had the Class II serial data-reading radios, so you're safe. You can use the standard late 80's-mid 90's GM wiring harness adapter.

On that note, the Class II radios can be removed without any major reprocussions. If you had one in your car, you'd just have to make sure you had all of your "convenience" settings to where you wanted them before removing the radio. Also, those radios need a special wiring harness that includes a chime module (the chime is played through the driver's side front speaker via the stock radio.) You are still able to reset your "Change Oil Soon" reminder without using the stock radio by simply switching on the ignition and pressing down on the gas pedal 3 times...