Pulled the ABS fuse, now my brakes are firmer?

slick

Kinda confusing. My ABS has been acting up lately, and I hate ABS anyways. So, I decided to pull the fuse about 2 days ago. Now, my brake pedal just feels much firmer. Any reason as to why this would be?

abs = teh suck? thats a good reason

yep...real intelligent...

ABS definately sucks when it helps you stop shorter, keeps you from flatspotting tires on fast stops and allows you to steer while on the brakes in the winter...yep...really sucks :roll:

anyways most ABS problems are caused by the Wheel Speed Sensors. chances are that you got just enough rust creep to make the wheel speed sensor gap high enough that it is getting false signals.

Your pedal should be uneffected by ABS unless it is operating

ABS definately sucks when it helps you stop shorter, keeps you from flatspotting tires on fast stops and allows you to steer while on the brakes in the winter...yep...really sucks :roll:

anyways most ABS problems are caused by the Wheel Speed Sensors. chances are that you got just enough rust creep to make the wheel speed sensor gap high enough that it is getting false signals.

In my opinion it sucks....too many problems associated with it.. Im not going to argue this anymore, thats not the point of this thread.

Hijack over

The pedal should feel the same with the ABS or without it. Unless its a problem with the brakes them sleves and not the ABS. But from driving in the winter with no ABS, I deffienatly would have ABS, very good for winter and such.

i agree with u, i dont see why people complain, the only problem the fully elecric ABS has (not the retarded PM3) is wheel speed sensors wich prolly arnt ecpsensive or hard to change, how can regular brakes be so much better or more fun? cause u can lock up the tires and skid around, lol

I could care less either way. I drive a car with no ABS all winter and never have any problems. With gearing down to 1st and pumping the brakes properly I can keep control pretty easily.

As for ABS, if my car had it then that woulkd be a bonus. I never used to like ABS because my dad's Taurus has ABS, and it is the worst for stopping in winter..I dunno why.

However my mom's Acura has an awesome ABS system, so for me I like ABS, but only if it actually stops faster lol....

Anyway....

When I had the fuse in there, everyday on the first time I would use my brakes in a forward motion, the ABS system would kick in for no aparant reason, and the pedal would become stiff. This usually meant me going over a speed bump much faster than I like to (5 mph is fast enough).

The vehicle seems to be stopping much better now. Used to have to apply a lot more force, and push the pedal farther to get it to stop half as good as what it does now. Driving with the windows down, the braking sounds normal as well.

Just for the record... ABS will stop you faster on dry and wet pavement. It will not stop you as fast as locking them up on gravel or snow though, because of the "wall" that gets built up in front of the tires when they aren't turning. It does, however allow you to steer while you are stopping in snow or on gravel.

Mike

The vehicle seems to be stopping much better now. Used to have to apply a lot more force, and push the pedal farther to get it to stop half as good as what it does now. Driving with the windows down, the braking sounds normal as well

that is good news....I am not sure what would have caused it to work better, but if that is the case I say keep driving it that way. I personally hate ABS, I actually was able to get my Spyder without it.

Really, you dont NEED ABS, its just a "saftey" feature that the car compaines made into a big deal saying you cant have a car without it.

Me, I could careless. Less shit that can go wrong without it.

ABS is actually useful in the snow. I can't count how many times I would have hit curbs driving in a foot of snow.

You don't absolutely NEED it, yes, but it is an asset to the car, IMO.

I can fix my bonneville's ABS for under $10 and 30 minutes. I just don't see the need. I don't care near enough. All I know is the Montana stops worse than my GP ever did, and my Bonneville can put me through the windshield. I'm not going out of my way to get ABS. If my next car has it, great. If it doesn't, I'm not going to complain one bit. It's just another feature to make white, yuppie women feel safe. Sorta like traction control.

• 5 weeks later...
Just for the record... ABS will stop you faster on dry and wet pavement. It will not stop you as fast as locking them up on gravel or snow though, because of the "wall" that gets built up in front of the tires when they aren't turning. It does, however allow you to steer while you are stopping in snow or on gravel.

Mike

Umm....No. Wheel lockup style is the fastest way to stop on dry pavement. Loose and wet surfaces are where ABS will reduce your stopping distances. Only in extreme offroad/steep situations does ABS hamper your stopping on loose surfaces. THE POINT OF ABS IS TO MAINTAIN STEERING CONTROL DURING A PANIC STOP.