Anyone ever use Wal-mart's Tire and Lube Express?

genEus

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/tle.gsp

Prices seem really nice... like this:

15-Point Best-Value Service

$19.94*

Includes:

• Oil change

• Chassis lube

• Check and fill 4 different fluids

• Electronic battery test

• Vacuum interior

• 7 more services!

and this:

Installation and Tire Protection Plan

$9.76 per tire

We are very proud of our Installation and Tire Protection Plan. We work hard to offer numerous top-quality services at our famous Every Day Low Prices.

Here are all the features our plan offers for only $9.76 per tire:

Mounting and Installation

We'll mount the tire on your wheel and install it on your vehicle.

Install New Valve Stem

If a problem develops with your valve stem, we will fix it at no charge.

Lifetime Balancing and Rotation

We will rotate and balance your tires every 6,000 miles at no charge for the life of the tires.

Road Hazard Warranty

Flat repair for the life of the tire at no charge or tire replacement if it cannot be repaired.*

i guess thats a great deal if you want people that dont know shit about cars working on yours...personally, i'd take it somewhere with some REAL mechanics...i've heard horror stories about wally world...but, HEY, its up to you!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/tle.gsp

Prices seem really nice... like this:

15-Point Best-Value Service

$19.94*

Includes:

• Oil change

• Chassis lube

• Check and fill 4 different fluids

• Electronic battery test

• Vacuum interior

• 7 more services!

The * probably means that the price doesn't include the cost of the oil, filter, and definetly not any of the other fluids they top off. and what the hell is 7 more services supposed to be?

i guess thats a great deal if you want people that dont know shit about cars working on yours...personally, i'd take it somewhere with some REAL mechanics...i've heard horror stories about wally world...but, HEY, its up to you!

x2

"*We use our featured bulk oil. Other brands are $2 more. Synthetic oils are not included"

:shrug: I dunno, I was just wondering... I mean, what's the basic qualification for a mechanic? Some vocational classes at a local community college? I mean, someone either goes to work for Midas and someone goes to WalMart... if they pay similar, why not apply to both

I have no clue, of course... but for an oil change and interior vacuuming, etc., I may go... what kind of an idiot does one have to be to not be able to do an oil change?

Great. It's probably the same shit we stock at our pharmacy :roll: real high quality. and they will charge for the other fluids to be topped off.

well, from what i've heard, you really don't need to have any classes or anything like that to work @ wal-mart changing oil/tires...so, basically it'd be like joe-blow who changes his oil in his backyard changing yours @ wally world for minimum wage...

and, gutlass is probably right about that not including the other fluids they top off...i've heard of places like LUBE STOP, or JIFFY LUBE charging extra for topping fluids off...hell, they might even charge extra for HAZERDOUS MATERIAL DISPOSAL...

5 quarts Castrol 5w30 - $8

Ac-Delco PF-52 oil filter - $4

knowing that i did the job, and it was done right, priceless.

i've realised that the more people that touch my car, the more work i end up doing in the end.

I almost got hired at the Walmart tire/Lube and I have no formal training in automotive. They didn't hire me cause I've had too many jobs in the past (afraid I'm going to leave due to their shitty pay).

Anyways I don't think ALL of them are bad, I got my tire changed at ours once and it's been fine. The "mechanic" said that my wheelstuds are too short, I was like "oh, which ones?" (had new hubs installed) and he was like "all of them" :roll:

I don't know about your neck of the woods WallyWorld but the one here is not known for having the best qualified employees. from what I hear they are constantly replacing engines cause some kid forgot to put oil in the car or because the plug wasn't put back on. I know they are the competition to my shop and me talking bad about them might seem like I'm doing it out of spite. either way they don't top off your fluids they are not allowed to check your coolant, tranny fluid or brake fluid. when i asked them why all they could say was that it was cause those fluids were too important and because of liability purposes they couldn't touch them. I was like "damn, guess the oil in my car is not that important after all." either way, my shop charges $28.99 for a conventional oil change and we get about 50-60 cars daily. I don't care how cheap a place is you can't substitute quality for a lower price. Yeah I might go to Wallys.. as soon as I need a new engine. I might get it for free. :lol:

LOL. I got my answer :lol:

BTW, Tigershark, $28.99?? :shock: What exactly costs that much? Unscrewing the bolt or puting in a filter? I'm just curious...

At Canadian Tire they charge upwards of $39 (CND) to do a damn oil change. It's getting rediculous nowadays. I like changing my own oil/filter for under $15CND.

damn...its only $24.95 where i work, and we check everything over, top off all fluids, change oil & filter, check tire pressures...

and i almost forgot...a couple months back i replaced a steering box in a van because someone changed their oil and put BRAKE FLUID in it instead of power steering fluid...well, it ruined the seals in the steering box and it ended up costing him about $400 to fix it...so, keep that in mind...

Well we do the same thing. Top off your fluids, check and fill all your gearboxes, air up tires, wash windshields, and all that stuff, but you don't need an appointment. i got a camera in the pit and cameras next to the vehicle,with a tv monitor next to your window so you're always aware of whats being done to your car. by the way you sit in the car the entire time, about ten minutes for the entire procedure. either way, Walmart should stick to selling cheap chinese products instead of trying to move in on the automotive industry.

my sister has, they did a good job, places like that, dont wanna ruin there rep, they have to do things right, we have a Super walmart with the Tire Lube Express here, i would never take my car here, but my sister does, and she says its great for how cheep it is

Things I personally know of happening at Wal-mart and Kmart service centers. Why would you want the lowest paid least experienced techs working on your car?

Two oil filters falling off after oil change trashing both motors.

Several striped oil pan drains.

Trashed paint from techs setting brake fluid caps on fenders.

Floorpan, exhaust, trailing arm bent from lifting car wrong.

Lug bolts and nuts striped from using unregulated impact gun.

Read about members here having brake bolts missing after replacing tires at Wal-mart.

wow you guys are getting some bad luck at your walmarts.

Walmart is Cheep i'll give you all that! the basic fact is i couldnt change the oil myself for what they charge. $30 for moble 1 synthetic and new filter.

sure you have to watch them to make sure they put the right oil in.

once they almost put 10W50 in my car. and other times it was a quart low. (for some reason, my DOHC takes 5.5 quarts. this time it needed 6)

so all i can say, is just keep an eye on them and get the deal.

ive been to other shops that have messed up more. like only draining the overflow box for when i asked for a full coolent flush

or how a jack pad from the lift got wedged on my frame rail and was still there when i got the car home.

not to mention my driver side rear brake catching on fire!

so i just dont trust any mech. ever since i started working on my own car things have been great and no major problems. the sec i take it to a mech... crap goes bad

There is a Dunn tire about 300 feet from our Walmart... I was getting new rubber when a lady pulled in with engine smoking because they didnt put the oil plug back in. Also there was also another thing that happened last fall when they didnt tighten the lug nuts on a wheel of a car and the car lost the wheel pulling out of the lot. You would be better off using some cooking oil and a paper cup filled with cotton balls as a filter than going to walmart.

oh god! ok, NO ONE go to wal*mart then, thats bullshit if they do that, if there really doing that, shouldnt the Govenment step into this, these things are real saftey hazards going on, and property damage

al-mart stripped the oil pan bolt on my dad's old Suburban....

If I take my car to a fast oil change place I tell them, just change the oil, don't touch anything else...and I watch to make sure all they do is change the oil and nothing else

let me put it this way I worked for wal-mart for two years and was more than qualified to work their as well as the goodyear and car-max and so on and so on....But I will promise you this I will NEVER take my Z their but i do take my wifes little mitsu lancer their for the cheapest crap possible that way if they ever blow the engine for me I will get a new car or a new engine for free....but don't take a car that you actually care about to that nasty horible place..... :lol:

I'd agree with the vast majority of comments here - DON'T GO TO WAL-MART. I've heard stories about the local Wal-Mart not putting oil back in some ladies car. Needless to say the engine seized up as a result. Wal-Mart told her it was her fault for not checking that they put the oil back in.

If you have a car dealer near you (some GM stores have a Lube Express or something like that) where you can drive up and have an oil change, coolant flush, or other routine stuff done, no appointment needed. I took the Grand Prix to the local Pontiac store which happens to have one of them and I was in and out in 30 minutes. The trick is to go early in the AM, as soon as they open. I'd much rather have them take care of my car than someone at wallyworld.

Kevin

They also use Fram filters... the shittiest filters made... The least they could do would be use the Super-Tech filters that they also sell (made by Champion Labs, and are actually a pretty good filter)...

Mike

I've had inspection stations not put on my wheel right and the wheel studs broke off, I've had inspection stations ask me to take the key out because they didn't know how. Any place you go can lead to problems. Z34 Phoenix is right. Don't Trust Anybody.