Top speed Again! 3.4L not 3100/3400

GPRACER

I have in front of me a very interesting booklet. It is the new product service training manual for 3.4L fuel injection. Got all kinds of neat stuff in it. There's no date on it anywhere, but I'm assuming it was printed back in 1990 just before production started? Some interesting facts include

200hp @ 5000 rpm Auto

210hp @ 5200 rpm man

fuel cutoff occurs at 6500 rpm when in gear and 3000 rpm in neutral for the auto trans

fuel cutoff occurs at 7000 rpm in gear and no cutoff in neutral for the manual trans.

TOP SPEED 115mph with touring tire option

TOP SPEED 124mph with performance tire option.

I knew the F-Body had speed governed by tires but the W-body as well? I thought it's pretty cool.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bolt_Crank

• Jeorge

• GPRACER

• kadoi

the question is how do we 3100/3400 owners raise our top speed. One way is to find a police unit with police option code and 3100 engine, just a matter of swapping computer programming if you have the serial #, unfortunately I don't think the 3100/3400 ever had a police option.

I dont think they did..... and my question to you is why?

on a W-body's stock suspension, even with the fe3 package, would you want to, IMO the handling goes to shit after 105-115 any ways.....

unless you get better struts/springs/and moonleaf I personally wouldent want to go over that..... I have been to 126 in my GTP, and I dont plan on going back to there unless 2 things happen...

1. I NEED To....

2. I upgrade my sus package......

fuel cutoff occurs at 6500 rpm when in gear and 3000 rpm in neutral for the auto trans

The only neutral rev limiter I have is at 6500 RPM. :mrgreen:

My lumina wouldn't do that unless I was going over 20 mph, the stick in it neutral, then it would rev to red line.. but Cutlass's are weird. I seen a 95 DOHC Cutty Convt. do the same thing once as well (no neutral rev limiter)

GM's weird sometimes..

I agree, I got my 93 Cutlass up past 100mph a few times and it just felt very slushy, not terrible but it didn't feel glued to the road anymore. However, a lot of this could have to do with tires but of course suspension is a big part.

Jason

on a W-body's stock suspension, even with the fe3 package, would you want to, IMO the handling goes to shit after 105-115 any ways.....

unless you get better struts/springs/and moonleaf I personally wouldent want to go over that..... I have been to 126 in my GTP, and I dont plan on going back to there unless 2 things happen...

1. I NEED To....

I have upgraded my suspension, with both GM and a/m parts, My car topped out tonight at 108.75mph not fast enough for me, My car handle's fine in my opinion, better than my t-bird at comparable speeds.

A friend of mine has a handheld radar gun and every once in a while we get together under controlled conditions and make a few runs.

His crown vic topped out at 107.9 hahahahah,

How did you get to 126 when fuel cutoff occurs at 124? Do you have a different chip?

The real reason why I want to get a couple of extra mph is quite simple. I have several friends who all own F-bodies, Here in Canada all the F's are goverened to a top speed of 112.5mph unless they have the tire upgrade. The guys I know are real jackass's and narrow minded about fwd performance, just once I'd like to show them that a W can be faster than a F. I need to do something with my 1/4 mile times though :roll:

Mine is a 1996 GTP, with a OBDII comp setup.... new ball park from the OBDI setup with PROM chips.....

I only have simple mods.... its all in my sig eccept the poliched lower intake....

Im actually not sure what my cut-out is.... never been there..... but according to my buddies radar gun it was like 126.72 mph... he is a cop so I dont doubt the accuracy of the gun, or him.... lol

Cool, My friend is a cop too, so the gun(s) should be accurate. I guess there are minor variations in all vehicles. I also clocked my brother's Explorer, got to 105, scared the hell out of me, but the thing was still pulling.

I've topped my '96 Olds out at 115 MPH, ust to see if the speedo actually went that far. I know it was that fast since i got a ticket for it also, on my birthday at 2:00am in the morn. What a birthday present, a $100 ticket and almost a night in jail. Cop felt sorry for me since it was my birthday, so he wrote the ticket and told me to slow down so that I could live the rest of the night/day. Lets just say, I do the speed limit now.

1. I NEED To....

In my 98 GTP, the handling gets better as I go faster, especially when I hit triple digits! :mrgreen:

Aaron

Top speed is 120 according to the limiter. I have never seen a DOHC limit at 115 or 124. That book is wrong (not the first time from GM so please dont tell me they are the bottom line).

my speedo was reading 110 when mine cut out, then again the 3.1 cluster is still in the car so i dont know how accurate the speedo is. it was a semi twisty 2 lane divided hwy in the hills between somerset PA and I-68. car was glued to the ground and felt good, at about 85-90 the rear end just squatted down and stuck, so i guess the spoiler actually does some good.

"In my 98 GTP, the handling gets better as I go faster, especially when I hit triple digits! :mrgreen:

Aaron"

yours is also has a better sus package, stiffer uni-body, no moonleaf with a sportier varial rate spring....... BASTARD!!!!! :lol:

JK

This "cut-out" is news to me.

I used to take every car I owned up far enough to tag the Speed-O-Meter.

Had my `83 Z28 w/crossfire up to 140 after I tranny make-over on I-84.

But I must say I have not had my `94 olds cutlass above 110. But at that speed I had plenty of room on the tach to push it over 120 before it hit 5K

(I think).

Not such a speed demon anymore, but may have to take it up and see what happens next time I get onto Clatskanie flats.

Oh yes, most newer cars had limiters I think. I know my 92' Camaro RS hit it's brick wall at 106mph official, 110mph on the gauge. It was only at 3200rpm in 5th gear at that point and still pulling pretty good. My 91 Z28, God knows, I never went faster that 125 on the speedo, never needed to. I also know that the Z28's (up to late 90s) had the same limiter unless you got the better tire option. I think most midsized cars were given a 106-110mph limit. Obviously some cars didn't get that, or some had higher (Buick GN had its set to 124-125mph due to areodynamics and suspension) my Sunbird didn't have one though... it had several encounters with the oppoiste side of the gauge, at 120mph. I am sure it never really hit that, speedos lose their accuracy as the speed increases, to as much as 6mph (find some older car mags, forget which ones, they actually included real speed vs indicated) I have no idea what my 97 would do.. it's loses a lot of ooomph after 95mph. LOL! I doubt it could hit 110 unless it was rolling down hill with a wind at its back.

• 3 months later...

i have a 92 euro 3.4 with ffp chip , dogbone , ud pulley and my speedo only goes up to 180kmh....about 3-4 secondes after i get to 180 you can still feel it pulling but after that nothing :oops: .....not fast enough for me

Guest TurboSedan

i just had my CS up to 115mph a few weeks ago and it was still pulling like i could have hit 120-125 mph or so (tops). the car felt safe to me. i've done some suspension work to it tho, Eibach front springs, old ass front Monroe struts, NO STB's and NO rear sway bar, TDC coilovers with KYB struts in the rear, and 16x8 GTP wheels on 225/60 tires. my car has '90 GP ECM/chip and harness and i don't know what the fuel cutoff or speed limiter is. i plan on reinstalling my Addco rear bar, installing my 34mm front bar, new KYB's all around, '95+ front strut/knuckles with bigger brakes and good pads, FFP coilovers, cut 1/4 coil off the front springs, get 225/55 tires and a new alignment..... and with the turbo/5-speed i'd like to hit 150mph.....unless i shit myself first that is.

joshua