upgrading speakers

Psych0matt

So, I'm seriously thinking about upgrading here in the next few weeks, starting with a new sub/amp combo I'm buying off my brother. I would like to also get some new 6.5's in the rear and then eventually some new fronts too. I'm looking for something cheap, but reliable (aka brand name) that I can amp (with the amp I have now) I saw these and thought they might be good, since they are pioneer, and cheap.

These

any suggestions or anything?

I honestly don't think those Pionners that you have linked to are all that great. Plus if you amp those you will definately blow them up since they are only 30watts RMS

I have some Kenwood 3 way 6x9 that I'm pushing 50watts rms through, the speakers are rated for 60 watts rms...I could blow those speakers up with no problem...

I'd buy Pioneer for their H.Us...but not necessarily their speakers, IMO of course

I'd buy Pioneer for their H.Us...but not necessarily their speakers

i agree there, i have had many brand of H.U's and pioneer is the best IMHO. and for speakers i like infinity for the doors.

I have a pair of 6x9 MTX that I haven't even bothered to put in my 95 GP. I noticed very little difference between them and the stock speakers in my 88 GP. Cheap Pioneer, Kenwood, MTX, etc.. might handle slightly more power than stock speakers, but sound quality is still very mediocre.

Don't bother to amp the rear speakers- amp the fronts and pay some money for good name brand such as Infinity or get a set of components. All the important sound comes front the front the rest is just "filler". If you have subs in the back that's gonna drown out the sound from the back also.

I have some Kenwood 3 way 6x9 that I'm pushing 50watts rms through, the speakers are rated for 60 watts rms...I could blow those speakers up with no problem...

Small amps blow big speakers.... If you are pushing a 50w RMS amp to it's limit it's gonna start distorting causing the speakers to bottem out and risk damage (regardless if they are 60w speakers or whatever). I bet if you had a 1000w amp you could get them going LOUDER, safer. It's always better to have more amp power than your speakers can handle, you just gotta make sure you have it set so that you woun't blow them up.

:wink:

you just gotta make sure you have it set so that you woun't blow them up.

Yup I got it all set perfect now. Took me a bit to tweak the gains on the amp, but I got it all good now

Even though those Pioneer speakers he was looking at are 30w RMS, having an amplifier would still put out more clean power than just the head unit. I think the average CD player puts out something like 22w RMS per channel (they rate at 45/50w per channel). The max power rating for those 6.5s are 160w...

yeah, the amp I would run is a jvc 250w (turned way down obviously). I mostly want to get cleaner sound louder with the top down and such, cuz it gets to the point that all I really distinguish is bass and certain highs. It'd be nice to get it sounding good. What other brands would you guys suggest sound good?

oh yeah, and what do I need to take into consideration to use the factory grills? do I just have to mount them on the backside of the panel?

Personally, I perfer Infinity, but I guess some brands sound better to some people that others. Other brands, besides Infinity, Polk audio, Alpine, but there all expensive. Jensen makes good speakers, My dad put them in his truck, had the truck for roughly 25yrs, never blew a speaker and never had a problem with them, plus they are cheap.

Jensen makes good speakers, My dad put them in his truck, had the truck for roughly 25yrs, never blew a speaker and never had a problem with them, plus they are cheap.

Yeah my dad said Jensen made great sounding speakers for high level sound...

Personally If you've already got am amp why not spend the money you were going to spend on speakers on a good set of components for the front? If you've got good sounding speakers up front you wont even hear the rear speakers anyways. Thats why i pulled out my rear speakers all together.

but with an amp, you can control that, with my four speakers I can hear both the front and back, once you set it right, plus the rear 6" x 9"'s do put out some bass, no where near subs, but they do, and if he doesnt have subs, hell want to keep the rear speakers in there, of whatever size is in the rear of a conv. With an amp you can tune it to hear the back speakers, plus you took out the rear speakers because you kept having problems with them. But a set of components would deffinatly make it sound better.

but with an amp, you can control that, with my four speakers I can hear both the front and back, once you set it right, plus the rear 6" x 9"'s do put out some bass, no where near subs, but they do, and if he doesnt have subs, hell want to keep the rear speakers in there, of whatever size is in the rear of a conv. With an amp you can tune it to hear the back speakers, plus you took out the rear speakers because you kept having problems with them. But a set of components would deffinatly make it sound better.

You always want your sound to come from the front!! The rear speakers only come into play if you have a lot of people in the rear of the car. When the judges at a sound quality competition score your car, they want the sound to come from th middle of the windshield just to the right of the driver at eye level, not from behind you. Thats why it commonly reffered to as "rear fill". And he said he was going to have a sub from his brother. :wink:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh..................I see

I kinda think it sound better though when you get the rear speakers involved though, because its more of a "surround sound" than just hearing noise/music from the front. Besides, thats for a competition.....

In my old car (1988 GP) I had dash and door speakers. I loved all the sound coming from the front!

When you are driving with the windows down (or if you have a convertible.. lol) the rears really don't matter. If anything, that "filler" from the rear is just messing with the sound in the front.

Also, I don't see why people in the back seats need speakers behind them. I've always found that I can't hear people talking when the damn rear speakers are blasting in my ears.

I WOULD remove my rear speakers, but I only have 1 sealed sub, and I like to listen to it LOUD (would lose lots of sound with only fronts off the HU). Someday I'll get a good amp (100w/ch) with components and set it up properly.

hmmm, maybe I'll just go with some new fronts then (and add door panel ones if i can get panels with the cut out) my only problem is getting to the fronts... how? I had my dash apart and was looking the other day and couldnt see how to get to it. do I have to take off the whole freakin dash pad? (I was trying to figure out why my drivers side front wasnt working at all)

hmmm, maybe I'll just go with some new fronts then (and add door panel ones if i can get panels with the cut out) my only problem is getting to the fronts... how? I had my dash apart and was looking the other day and couldnt see how to get to it. do I have to take off the whole freakin dash pad? (I was trying to figure out why my drivers side front wasnt working at all)

Yep! the whole dash pad has to come off. Then you'll be able to get to the 4" speakers.

My first setup was Alpine 4" and 6x9's off of deck power. After that, I added an amp and my components and left the 4" running off of deck power(but crossed over at 220hz) So I have a make shift 3 way component setup.

so, my pioneer has the bass blocker things on them (for the fronts) and I should be getting my new infinity 4" fronts next week. Those, along with my new sub and amp (jl w7 and a kenwood 600w) should do me fine until I can get some nice 6.5's in the back, and then at some point I would also like to add a pair of 6x9's to the door panels. does this sound like a good plan? and does my current set up (with the new infinitys) seem like it should improve me for a good while until I get some cash to do the rest?

so, my pioneer has the bass blocker things on them (for the fronts) and I should be getting my new infinity 4" fronts next week. Those, along with my new sub and amp (jl w7 and a kenwood 600w) should do me fine until I can get some nice 6.5's in the back, and then at some point I would also like to add a pair of 6x9's to the door panels. does this sound like a good plan? and does my current set up (with the new infinitys) seem like it should improve me for a good while until I get some cash to do the rest?

Just be carefull with the gains, because the W7 can very easily over power anything you put in there for mids and highs.