Rear Deck Rattle

xN8x

I got a 90 cutlass and the stock rear speakers don't rattle but the covers for them do, is there a quick fix for that? I wanna get back to bumpin. I can't believe how bassy the stock setup is when I hook my ipod up to it. It would sound way better if the cases didn't rattle though. Any help is appreciated.

So you mean the dust cover is rattling on the top of the speaker, or what??

If it is the cover, just glue it back to is doesn't rattle...or that's what I'd try.

The speakers themselves could be rattling...if you find in fact they are, just bent the bracket some to tighten it up and put it back in place

well, they rattle till I go in the back seat and put pressure on the covers, so I guess I'll have to glue the covers back down but the deck is just one big cloth covered area, which means the cases are covered too. How do I access them?

you can take the whole rear deck out to play with it if you want. First get the two bolts on the bench seat cushion. If you run your hand along the front underside where the seat meets the floor, you will find them.. Take those out and the seat cushion pulls right out. Then there are two bolts that hold the seat back in place. Take them off, then slide the seat back upwards and it will come right off. from there, you should just be able to pop 2 white retainer clips out of the rear deck, and the lift the whole thing up and out of the car. Don't be afraid to pull up on it, because there are a few plastic body clips that hold the rear deck to the car.

After you have all that stuff out, play the stereo and see if the rattle is gone or not.

yeah, it might just be a loose screw holding the covers in... also, since you're back there, you should put some dynamat speaker pads in... You can get a set for like $15-$20 and there are two 12"X12" pads in the set. Take the speakers out, put the pad centered over the hole and cut an X in the pad where the hole is, then wrap the flaps down thru the hole and seal it to the underside of the deck. Then place the speakers back. Those little pads work great to isolate vibration around the speakers.