Brake Troubles

GI Drewsifer

I just replaced the brake pads on my Grand Prix about two weeks ago. At first, everything was great. I noticed a serious improvement in stopping power. I forgot to bleed the brakes, so the pedal travelled a little bit more, but was still plenty firm. But recently, when I brake, I get a very loud noise. I thought I had fixed that when I changed the pads. The brakes also feel like they've lost some of the stopping power I was looking to regain. Any thoughts?

I did get some cheaper pads, not gonna lie. If it was just noise, I wouldnt worry to much. But it feels like the stopping is back to where the old pads where, perhaps a little better, but not much. Thats what I get for going for the cheap ones!

"White box special" rotors are fine. Pads are where your money is most importantly spent. I'll be honest, I've gone without bleeding the system quite a few times.. before I really gave a shit. I never noticed that big of a difference, and I never had an increased brake pedal travel. Did you change all the brakes or just the rear/fronts?

I hope you have a working emergency brake. To adjust the rear brakes you have to use the emergency brake. Use it everytime you think about it for a week, or at least a couple days. That could be it.

Then use it once a week or so forever. Not using the emergency brake over a long period of time will definately lessen your rear brake performance. With new pads you may just need to use it to get a good seating and wearing with the pads.

I haven't been using mine because I don't want to do them again. But the time has come when I have to face the music again. 8.5 years I've had this car.

I would recommend going with a ceramic pad. I have found the Napa ceramics to be awesome on my Expedition. No noise, no dust and pedal feel is about the same. As soon as the performance frictions on my Monte crap out I am going to install them.

Also if you used a C-clamp to push the piston back into the caliper, you do not need to bleed the brakes. The only time you would need to is if you run our of brake fluid or remove the brake line/open the bleeder valve. I have been doing my brakes for 15 years and never bled the system during a routine brake job.

Glock

"White box special" rotors are fine. Pads are where your money is most importantly spent. I'll be honest, I've gone without bleeding the system quite a few times.. before I really gave a shit. I never noticed that big of a difference, and I never had an increased brake pedal travel. Did you change all the brakes or just the rear/fronts?

When you disc brakes and compress the caliper are you supposed to open the master and then bleed the brakes when you're done?

When you disc brakes and compress the caliper are you supposed to open the master and then bleed the brakes when you're done?

You only need to bleed the brakes if air gets into the system. If you are using a C-clamp to compress the piston back into the caliper, there is no chance for air to get into the system so bleeding is not necessary.

Glock