EGR -> Wastegate solenoid wiring

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

right now my '91 3.1 engine has digital EGR. i know the TGP uses analog EGR, and that i need to ditch my current digital EGR in favor of the analog TGP type EGR. i have heard that the wires that need to go to my wastegate solenoid are currently going to my digital EGR. so which wires go where? can anyone here explain in detail what needs to be done? thank you very much in advance!

joshua

Rip out your current wiring harness/injector harness.

Go to the yard, and get a lower engine wiring harness and upper engine/injector harness for a 1990 Cutlass/GP/Lumina. Then, you will only need to add one wire for the WG solenoid (the other is a tap off of the 12v + line for the TPS/MAP/etc sensors). The only other wire is a signal that taps off of the MAP sensor to go to the gauge cluster turbo gauge...which you don't need.

Trust me, this is way easier than trying to convert the 91 harness over. I tried to do that once. The 90 TGP ECM chip looks for signals on wires that aren't there in the 91 harness...or they are in the wrong locations. And removing the pins without breaking them from the ECM plugs is impossible.

You will need both the lower engine harness and the injector/upper engine harness. The 90 harness is drop in (all you have to add is one wire). But the 91 harness has lots of differences. Not to mention, you won't have to hack up your current wiring harness. The hardest part is finding one complete. I was able to find one though, and it only costed me $20. Look around, you'll find one.

Jason

Guest TurboSedan

cool beans, i already have a '90 Grand Prix engine wiring harness on my '91 engine, so this should be simple! it was swapped over onto the engine during the Getrag swap. thanks,

joshua

• 20 years later...