rear right strut snapped, hard to replace?

wally05

Last night, on my way home (3:30 in the freaking morning), I hit a bump and i heard a hard clunk that was my rear right strut breaking. I was able to hobble it home, but now I need to replace it. And I'm guessing I should just do both sides to be safe. Is it hard to replace these? Also, anything else I should check to see if there is damage?

I looked and it is completely separated from the top and there is fluid all over behind my tire. How long might it take?

Thanks for the advice, guys. This car has been a money pit. I was going to finish my rear brake job today, but it looks I'll have to deal with this. I might sell this car if this keeps up.

Korey

It came disconnected from the top? or the strut itself seperated? If it came off at the top, you'll need a new strut mount. Otherwise there were a bunch of posts about rear strut replacement a month or so ago.. if you can find them, they'll tell you exactly what you need to know about replacing them.

K, thanx, Style. I'll look it up more. I was kinda in a hurry to get going so I didn't search a lot on it. It looks like the strut itself separated b/c i think the top is still bolted in there the way it looks. I'll double check. Me and my friend were going to finish my brake work today and we'll just do the struts at the same time.

Korey

K, thanx, Style. I'll look it up more. I was kinda in a hurry to get going so I didn't search a lot on it. It looks like the strut itself separated b/c i think the top is still bolted in there the way it looks. I'll double check. Me and my friend were going to finish my brake work today and we'll just do the struts at the same time.

Korey

Well I'd rewrite it, but the steps whoever had to do it were perfect. I have a tendancy to ruin stories and instructions when I recite them.

That top part is the mount. The piston of the strut itself pokes through the mount (which is bolted to the strut tower) and is held in place with a large nut on the end of the shaft.

This same thing happened to my Regal. Here are some pics of the damage:

strut1.jpg

strut2.jpg

After cutting away the strut boot, the shaft was all the way down inside the strut (with the bolt still in tact.)

Well guys, I was wrong. After closer inspection, it seems that there will need to be a new strut mount and strut. The strut itself is still inplace, the mount is just gone. Oh well.

Korey

well, while your replacing the mount to the struts......might as well......

PS. get KYB.

:werd:

I would do the same, because who knows how long they will last.

Upper mounts are common to go bad in the rust belt states.

Yeah, you're very likely to have the same thing happen on the other side, so it would be a good idea to replace it too.

They're not hard to replace at all, unless the bottom bolts are real rusted. They don't get all that rusty here in Missouri so it's a real easy job.