wal-mart changed their oil filters

Lee

Sorry dude, this is a myth. The only problems that you may encounter are leaks. This is because of the smaller, more consistent particle size of the synthetic oil. Small openings in gaskets that were good enough for regular oil may leak with syn. Seals may leak as the microsopic gaps are wide enough for syn but not for dino. I think you're right about the leaks, cause now it seems to leak a little more and I started using Mobil 1 for my last couple of oil changes. I think it's now also leaking from the O-ring

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5speedz34

• digitaloutsider

• supreme_style21

• White93z34

It gives me piece of mind in my 11 thousand dollar car to use premium oils and filters, personally, i've never held an oil filter that seemed to have the quality of the K&N. It's primo shit idc what anyone says. I don't really consider 36$ to be paying out the ass for a car thats still worth a few bucks. On my pontiac shit i used wall mart brand stuff and an AC Filter. Honestly, if i could have found one i still would have used an AC filter, but they didn't have AC, or STP.

Got a autozone close to me.. A friend convinced me to use Mobile Super Syn Oil and the upper end Mobil Oil Filters.. Only thing higher in cost (regretfully) is K&N oil filters since the Mobil one is $10.99 at autozone.. But, last week that had some special Oil and Filter for like $28.xx or so.

That reminds me.. Just put in K&N air filter in last week. :D Later when I can afford maybe ram air with a new hood.

BTW, for all who wonder, the SuperTech oil in the newer blue containers is Mobil 1.

Shawn, were did you hear this?

BTW, for all who wonder, the SuperTech oil in the newer blue containers is Mobil 1.

Shawn, were did you hear this?

Bobistheoilguy.com

Actually, now they're all in blue containers. According to that site, SuperTech oil is distributed by either Warren something-or-other (WPP) or Exxon (Mobil). Different Wal-marts get different oil. I noticed some Wal-marts have oil in an easy-to-open container and says WPP on the bottom. Others don't say WPP and has a larger, pointy designed cap that hurts to open with bare hands, and also has that break-off ring on the bottom of the cap (similar to a soda bottle). The oil in it is a lighter color than WPP oil, so by process of elimination, it's likely to be Exxon/Mobil.

2 Super Wal-marts in the same city could have different oil. The one my wife likes to shop at has the WPP, and the one closest to our house has the suspected Mobil oil.

Are you sure it's literally Mobil1? They didn't "miss anything" to get the price down?

I did a Mobil1 oil change with a purolator pureone filter, after 5500 miles the oil still looks excellent, I see no reason to change it (it hasnt even been 3 months, I do lots of hwy driving)

Sucks about walmart selling fram only, but filters at pepboys are almost the same price, and are lower w/ discount.

Are you sure it's literally Mobil1? They didn't "miss anything" to get the price down?

I have no clue. Someone on the bobistheoilguy forum asked about it, and was referred to the VOA forum (Virgin Oil Analysis). I looked there and didn't find a VOA for the non-WPP SuperTech oil (the WPP oil looked pretty good though).

Yeah, you're right, I was confusing Mobil with Mobil 1, sorry. I didn't mean to compare it to their Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil, I didn't catch that earlier. :oops: No, it is still dino oil, unless you get the non-WPP SuperTech synthetic.

Yeah, you're right, I was confusing Mobil with Mobil 1, sorry. I didn't mean to compare it to their Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil, I didn't catch that earlier. :oops: No, it is still dino oil, unless you get the non-WPP SuperTech synthetic.
It's no biggie.