cd changer with stock stereo?

R Dubya

I remember a few months back, maybe even a year or so, there was a car on Ebay that had a cd changer installed, but the stock stereo also was there. There was a controller or remote right below the DIC, and I want to know what kind of changer do I need to get to make this happen? How is it wired in and is it difficult to do?

I remember a few months back, maybe even a year or so, there was a car on Ebay that had a cd changer installed, but the stock stereo also was there. There was a controller or remote right below the DIC, and I want to know what kind of changer do I need to get to make this happen? How is it wired in and is it difficult to do?

If it was a stock radio, then most likely it was FM modulated.

FM modulated CD changers have a passthrough you hook into the back of your stock unit, in the antenna socket, that basically allows the changer to broadcast the audio signal it outputs on a certain FM frequency. It's a decent solution, but I hate it, because even though it's hard-wired to your antenna input, it still gets interference, and FM's dynamic range is still reduced.

I installed one in my car, and it's not hard if you've installed a head unit before. You'll need a 12V (both 'hot-in-run' and 'always-hot') and a ground, and you'll have to mount the changer and run the remote wire. It's popular to mount in the trunk, but when I did it on my car, I had it between my granny bench seats. :lol: It fit snugly, but I could take the magazine out while I was driving, which is why I put up with it there. I hate having to get out of the car to change CD's.

It's really a matter of how picky you are about how your music sounds. If you listen to FM radio on a regular basis, it'll be just fine for you.

Hey can you please get me that pn# of that amp you told me you had? I am looking into why I hear the turbo spool through the speakers and want to check if it is the amp or if I have a bad ground.

Hey can you please get me that pn# of that amp you told me you had? I am looking into why I hear the turbo spool through the speakers and want to check if it is the amp or if I have a bad ground.

I gotta find it. I got your PM's, but I've been cleaning my basement this week, and I've been really distracted. :oops: