Clunkin Noise!?...WTF is it!?...HELP!!

terryk2003

ok...i know there are other threads around here where people are having noises...but, this one has been pissing me off for a while and i can't figure out WTF it is...so...i have a noise in the right rear of my car...only happens when i turn to the right or hit a good bump with the right rear...its a CLUNK...i thought it was a strut or strut mount so, i replaced both rear struts and mounts...its still fuckin there...it seems like its getting worse...i've wiggled the exhaust around and it doesnt seem to be hitting anything...i can push the right rear of the car up and down hard and i don't hear it...i'm wondering if there's supposed to be some kind of spacer in my mono-leaf and if it didnt fall out or something!?...please help...this is driving me CRAZY!!! :cuss:

I dunno what type of suspension you have, but on my dad's Taurus some type of rear stablizer bar or something (quite thin metal rod connected to another small metal rod at the bottom and a rubber bushing in between.

Well the bolt that went into the bottom piece to attach the two together snapped and every time the ass end of the car lifted up the top rod would pull up and "pop" when it hit the bottom rod.

I know my explanation is fucked up, plus it probably doesn't apply, but it might be something that only happens when the rear end goes up...have you tried bouncing the back end by lifting the back of the car instead of pushing down on it???

- Jeff L.

Grab a set of MOOG monoleaf pads:

http://www.federal-mogul.com/fmeconnect/technicalservices/downloads/2022.pdf

I bought my set from Rock Auto. They're relatively simple to install. Jack up one end at a time and put your jack under the monoleaf as close to the strut knuckle as possible, and jack the end of the leaf up. Scrape off any remnants of the old rubber bushing, and install the new "puck" in the channel under where the leaf rests...

sway bar link, we just figured it out on the 96 gtp and replaced it and the clunk is gone

guess i shoulda mentioned ealier...i checked the saw bar and everything's still attached there...

Grab a set of MOOG monoleaf pads:

http://www.federal-mogul.com/fmeconnect/technicalservices/downloads/2022.pdf

I bought my set from Rock Auto. They're relatively simple to install. Jack up one end at a time and put your jack under the monoleaf as close to the strut knuckle as possible, and jack the end of the leaf up. Scrape off any remnants of the old rubber bushing, and install the new "puck" in the channel under where the leaf rests...

thanx for that info disco...so, you think this is most likely my issue!?...on that page it says you have to detect it early or you could break the spring...what are the odds of breaking one of these springs?...cause it seems like its getting worse, and it started last fall :roll: ...i really HOPE i didnt ruin the spring...*crosses fingers*

Hopefully you haven't broken the spring :shock: . It's really easy to check your pads, just peek your head under the car behind each back wheel and you'll be able to see if there's any pad left between the knuckle and the end of the monoleaf.

I made this "diagram" a while back (can't remember for who, though) pointing out the various parts of the rear suspension:

sbds.jpg

This was from my GP. You can plainly see the "beef" that was on the monoleaf pad. When I changed them on my Regal, there was just a sliver of rubber left...

thanx for that pic disco...i just went out and looked and they both appear to still be there though!?...maybe the rubber is soft or something!?...or this isnt the problem either :? ...i dunno but this is pissing me off...if i can get those pads cheap enough, i may just put them in anywayz and see if it helps me out @ all...

well, i went to napa yesterday, and they don't have the moog pieces you mentioned...they do have replacement rubbers to put in there...i think i'm gonna check under there one more time with it on the lift and make sure i didnt miss something obvious...if i can't find anything, i'll see if i can find the moog parts @ advance or autozone or somewhere...

well, i went to napa yesterday, and they don't have the moog pieces you mentioned...they do have replacement rubbers to put in there...i think i'm gonna check under there one more time with it on the lift and make sure i didnt miss something obvious...if i can't find anything, i'll see if i can find the moog parts @ advance or autozone or somewhere...

You have to ask for the part number - K6544... otherwise they probably don't know what you're talking about/don't care enough to look it up.

well, to update: i put my car on the lift @ work today...my pads are still there and don't look like they're worn down...although, i'm not positive what they're supposed to look like... :roll: ...i noticed one of my exhuast hangers (lil rubber band things) was missing, so i fixed that in hopes that it was causing the noise...NOPE...still got it...i did notice however, that there are black rub-marks on my new strut on the drivers side...appears that the sway bar is hitting the strut for some reason...could this cause this noise i'm hearing!?...its really getting frustrating...between this clunk, and the engine not running like it should i'm ready to start kickin the shit outta this thing :cuss:

They sell moog stuff under the napa name like everything else there (like struts)

:oops: DOHHH!...so, you mean if i gave them that moog part # they could prolly get those for me!?... :shock:

• 4 months later...