Aluminum Valve Stem Covers: Stuck on my FREAKING CAR...

OldsmoBeast

Okay... I'm just a tad frustrated....

I got this set of Aluminum valve covers for free... now I know why... I put them on my car sometime last year.... and now they're all stuck on....I tried to put air in one of my front tires (which appears relatively flat) and I couldn't get the damn cover off.....even with a couple sets of pliers... and I soon realized that all 4 are stuck on.... I'm thinking of getting my torch out to heat the fuckers up, but I don't want to damage anything.....

What do I do?

Thanks

YK

Break the bead, pull tire off, pop valve stems out, insert new with basic covers (OR.. Super hughly awesome DICE), reattach tire, fill with air, mount on car

?! WTF valve covers? such as the tire valve? Get two pairs of pliers and hold the stem as far towards the top as you can and use the other set to twist the cap off

I've tried that...I guess i'll try it again and put a bit more ass into it...

So would heat help this situation?

Break the bead, pull tire off, pop valve stems out, insert new with basic covers (OR.. Super hughly awesome DICE), reattach tire, fill with air, mount on car

Can you actually do this easily without the machine?

Can you actually do this easily without the machine?

:lol: not EASY...it can be done though...its a PITA...

Just take it down to Woodside tire on the corner of Lancaster & Wellington. The best tire shop in K-W IMO.

Thats not too far from where I work... well if it doesn't work out for me (I didn't have a chance to try today...gotta sleep and be up at 6 tomorrow :shock: ) I'll swing by that place...

Thanks for the tip

YK

Guest TurboSedan
I thought you were talking about valve covers on your car. Not Valve STEM Covers.

damn i was this close >< to moving this thread to powertrain :lol:

hope you don't mind, but i edited the title for clarity....

i'd goto a tire shop, if it ever hapined to me i'd just take it to work and rip the vaulve stem out of the wheel and break the tire down and put a regular stem back in

I thought you were talking about valve covers on your car. Not Valve STEM Covers.

damn i was this close >< to moving this thread to powertrain :lol:

hope you don't mind, but i edited the title for clarity....

No, sorry it was unclear, I only realized it afterwards... Thanks for the edit.

Yeah I still need to try this.... I'm just swamped in other stuff...and now i'm a bit lazy...i'll do it later today :lol:

If you do go the route of torch (which I would highly discourage you from doing)....please record it for us all to watch! If you melt the rubber, Compressed air + spark = BOOM!!!

Since when is compressed air flammable? I never thought it was unless I'm missing something here? I would think it's only flammable if it was pure oxygen.

Since when is compressed air flammable? I never thought it was unless I'm missing something here? I would think it's only flammable if it was pure oxygen.

yeah thats what I thought too...

when i said it i meant the relese of air pressure from a heated rubber tire ='s not something i'd like to be around. But i don't know about spark and boom :?:

yeah i know what you meant about that...

But from my experience compressed air almost always extinguishes small flames

Guest TurboSedan

yeah i really don't think compressed air will ignite with a spark....or a flame.....

but i definately wouldn't want to be around an exploding tire!

I had alumium valve stem caps do that on my car. Only way I think you can get them off is by replacing the valve stems. The guys at the tire shop could not even get them off... they actually twisted one so much the seal broke and all the air came out. Those things dont mix well with salted roads.