Polishing/painting crosslaces

dsgrntld187

Hey guys, I got the crosslaces on my Cutty now, but I need to refinish them. A couple of questions for you:

1) How do I strip the old clearcoat off? Aircraft Paint Stripper?

2) How do I polish the lip and face of them?

and 3) Do I just use regular clearcoat when I'm done?

Thanks guys

1.) yeah that should work. Taking a grinder to any corroded areas first would be a good idea. Hell, I used varsol mixed with this paint remover and it worked pretty good.

2.) My friend did them, he's works at a polishing shop I don't know how he did it exactly, aside from the fact they got big polishing wheels and such .. sorry.

3.) I just used VHT caliper paint (black) on the crosslace part, left the aluminum bare. He said to clean them with soap and water (dish detergent) and polish them with (baking) flower. I haven't had the wheels on long we'll see how well that works.

it would be cool to make wheels simialr to the richard petty edition cars, like polish the ouside of the spokes, and then paint the inside of the spokes, that would be pretty cool

it would be cool to make wheels simialr to the richard petty edition cars, like polish the ouside of the spokes, and then paint the inside of the spokes, that would be pretty cool

Yeah it would be easy to do too. I might try it on one of the wheels when I have to paint them.