LQ1 into second gen GTP? possable?

White93z34

what it says, if i could find a 97' or 98' ish GTP witha blown engine, what would really be required in swaping in a 96' or 97' LQ1? engine, radiators, pcm?

Instead of a LQ1, you could be even more different by replacing the L67 with a 3.5 DOHC from an Intrigue or Aurora. Either way, if you make it fast enough, you'll be the ultimate w-body salmon.

if you had a 97GP a simple 97 dohc will slap right in assuming same motor was in it

now if its a 98GP Huge overalling in wireing.

you could consider looking at l67swap.com and read the directions in reverse

Why on earth would you swap in a 3.5? That motor is WAY worse than an LQ1.

I agree. I actually am waiting for someone to say "Why not swap in a L67? At least then it would be fast..."

:lol:

It would be unique, that is for sure!

I'm pretty sure a LQ1 into a 2nd Gen wouldn't be that bad of a swap. Weren't the later motors OBD II anyways? I'd rather V8 swap a 2nd Gen myself, or possibly throw in one of those 3.6 VVT engines if you could.

Whatever you do, I hope you're boosting the DOHC or at least doing a fair amount of modifications to it if it's NA. Afterall, 2nd Gens a bit heavier, so you'll end up with a slower W' if you leave it stock. :wink:

if i can find me a 97' GTP my plan is 96' or 97' DOHC and computer and use the stocker 4t65e. its looking that it ought to be a prety easy swap. all i need now is a 97' GTP with a blowed up engine.

if i can find me a 97' GTP my plan is 96' or 97' DOHC and computer and use the stocker 4t65e. its looking that it ought to be a prety easy swap. all i need now is a 97' GTP with a blowed up engine.
Hmmm... My sister has one (97) with a blown engine that has been sitting for a long time. Needs a new rack though too.

I'd just swap the LQ1 in and go to some ClubGP mod day and not tell anyone, and just take people for rides and wait for their expression when the tach gets buried :twisted:
You can bury the tach on a l67 too though. (with mods of course)

I'd just swap the LQ1 in and go to some ClubGP mod day and not tell anyone, and just take people for rides and wait for their expression when the tach gets buried :twisted:

that would be way cool...everyone would be expecting an L67 and you pop out with an LQ1 :twisted:

Unless the LQ1 was modified, and running faster than most of the GTPs at the mod day, I think it'd be kinda lame, you would definately be shunned a bit IMHO.

But a cool project none the less, maybe some GTP owners woudl start to realize the advantage of high flow heads.

Unless the LQ1 was modified, and running faster than most of the GTPs at the mod day, I think it'd be kinda lame, you would definately be shunned a bit IMHO.

But a cool project none the less, maybe some GTP owners woudl start to realize the advantage of high flow heads.

Maybe there'd be more room underhood for headers in the 97+ GP's...