Is it possible to turbocharge a 3.1L V6 (LH0) engine?

frozen_flame77

I was just looking about upgrading my engine and I figured a turbo is a pretty good idea. The thing is, there is DEFINITELY no turbo kits for a 93 cutty, and i was wondering if you could use the turbo setup off a 3.1 turbo or not. If not, any other bright ideas?

I was just looking about upgrading my engine and I figured a turbo is a pretty good idea. The thing is, there is DEFINITELY no turbo kits for a 93 cutty, and i was wondering if you could use the turbo setup off a 3.1 turbo or not. If not, any other bright ideas?

Search

Guest TurboSedan
No you can't use a turbo off of a 3.1 turbo to turbo your 3.1 to make it a 3.1 turbo.

huh? :think:

yes you can turbocharge an LHO using LG5 parts. i just got done doing exactly this to my LH0. the only difference as far as CR goes is in the heads (however, '89 LH0 engines had the same heads as the TGP LG5 engine so IOW an '89 LH0 has the same 8.8:1 CR as the LG5). the LH0 also has weaker pistons than the LG5 and it uses a Melling HV oil pump. the crank is supposedly stronger ie. surface hardened, but no one has been able to prove/disprove this as far as i know (i'm betting the LG5 has exactly the same crankshaft as the LHO).

the LG5 and LH0 are remarkeably similar internally, my main concern is the pistons (i just installed a Melling 95HV oil pump so i have that covered).

as far as the tranny goes...i really don't know about the automatics but i wouldn't trust a non-TGP 4T60 automatic. i am using a Getrag 282 5-speed and i would suggest using the 282 5-speed over any automatic.

any questions feel free to ask. all of the details of the swap are still fresh in my mind.

EDIT: can we please keep this on topic? :?

acctually the Cranks are not the same HOWEVER> the Crank in the early vans apv ect... with the 3.1 TBI is the same.

it was a hardend crank to prevent wear and was part of the close tollerance. in the TGP.

Guest TurboSedan
acctually the Cranks are not the same HOWEVER> the Crank in the early vans apv ect... with the 3.1 TBI is the same.

it was a hardend crank to prevent wear and was part of the close tollerance. in the TGP.

heresay. i don't believe that for a second.

heresay. i don't believe that for a second.

Why not?

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12387

we have details...

Guest TurboSedan

Why not?

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12387

we have details...

Hardened Crank (Nitrided), Nodular Cast Iron with journal camfer/deep rolled fillets, casting 981 but this one IS unique to the 1989-1990 TGP and TSTE, worked on after starting as a 981 crank! Part number 10110549. Ion Nitrided/hardened depth of .02"-.03" raising surface hardness from 30-35 Rockwell C to 60 Rockwell C.

that's not hard proof. i know Jeff knows his shit but just because he says it's so doesn't mean it's true. i just find it very hard to believe that GM would go out of thier way to do any special work to the 981 crank for such a limited production car. if the crank is indeed surface hardened, than cool! i have a TGP crank in my garage right now :) until i see hard proof that it is though, i am going to believe it to be a run of the mill 3.1 MPFI crankshaft.

he is not the only one who says....does anyone have the Press kit I think it says in there....

also in several mags in the 89-90 years had articals and they too stated about the differant crank.