Question About Tranny Flushes

1990lumina

ya I am at 150,000miles and I'm gonna drop the pan, I also believe in LUCAS additives

I've met a few professional racers who use it and know 2 taxi companys who use it in theyre high mileage vehicles (oil and ATF)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Canada

• JoroCorona

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• 1990lumina

ya I am at 150,000miles and I'm gonna drop the pan, I also believe in LUCAS additives

I've met a few professional racers who use it and know 2 taxi companys who use it in theyre high mileage vehicles (oil and ATF)

You should check out bobistheoilguy.com and look for the Lucas feature article, I bet you'll be doing a few short interval oil changes to rid your car of that shit after seeing the results. :wink:

bobtheoilguy is a amsoil supporter straight up so of course the owners of the that site (doubt theres any guy named bob) dont like lucas, anyways to each his own.

Okay, I don't know anything about what the past owner did to my car, but mine has 127,700 miles on it. Would you recommend a pan drop or a flush? The fluid is still pretty red, maybe on the verge of turning brown. I know it slips 1-2 when its 1 sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't like to go into 4th gear on the expressway when I let off the gas (it's pushing 3800 on the tach in 3rd or so with the cruise on at 70-75mph)

I personally would do a full flush refill on your car. When I refilled it though, I would put in ATF +3. It has a higher coefficient of friction and will allow for firmer, more solid shifts. Might fix up that slip in 1-2.

I'm going to have to agree with this guy here. While I generally dont recommend any type of additive. On a high mileage trans, your clearences are gonna be kinda wide. Lucas thickens up the ATF and helps keep it together for alittle longer. Again, Only a Bandaid on a previously abused trans, but it helps.

Bobtheoilguy's test is only on the oil addative, not the trans additive. I have heard only good things about Lucas for old sloppy trans. I've heard that it does nothing in a new trans. I have not heard that it causes any damage to a new trans though. I have heard some flush additives can actually strip parts of the clutch disks. Flush Addative == Bad, Lucas >= Regular ATF depending on the situation.

Additives are bad all around. If you want the car to perform like it should....fix it properly. If the clutch tolerances are large...its because there is a lack of material. Meaning, the clutches are worn out....they need to be replaced. Do that....because they will fail hardcore if you don't. When that happens, its time for an entire new transmission.

Fucking hacks thinking they can solve a problem by dumping a bottle in.

I'm simply pointing out that its a bandaid. It help it for awhile. Its not going to fix the problem, but it will mask it for abit.

The only time I've ever recommended addatives is when the person couldn't afford to have the trans rebuilt. Toss a bottle of Lucas in there, tell them to come back in a month with some money and we'll fix it properly. I always point out that this is not a fix, just a bandaid.