Question About Tranny Flushes

1990lumina

its not good. dont do it. just change your fluid and filter regularly and maybe put in some BG trans plus. flushing does ruin bands by taking the coating off.

Read my post above and see why you are both right and wrong.

Flushes can be completely ok..........you just have to be careful and NOT use additives (this means no "trans plus" either).

you said not to use them in flushes. i was talking about with changing the fluid. flushes arent good no matter what.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Canada

• JoroCorona

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• 1990lumina

I had a '95 caravan and I put a used trans in it w/ unknown miles on it. Wouldn't upshift on its own, so i decided to change the fluid and filter. After everything was done draining, I looked in the bucket and the fluid looked like reddish-brown metallic flake paint. Moral of the story, don't get a used trans. Even if you know how many miles were on it when you got it.

flushes arent good no matter what.

When you say flushes are you including the additive crap....or a simple fluid exchange with the Wynn's machine (which works by discconecting a cooler line and placing the machine in series, it matches flow of the old fluid into it with new fluid into the trans).

When I say *flush*, I call that using the Wynn's machine.....but not using their additives.

No additivies, just a regular flush I guess. I guess whatever they use at the oil change place. They have a machine similar to what you have discribed.

- Jeff L.

this is my last comment to clarify. first off, just the pressure of the fluid pushing through the tranny parts knocks of the coating on the bands and clutches on higher mileage trannys, causing the filter to clog, thus burning up the tranny. if you change the filter after you flush it and run it for a little, you might get lucky and be okay. secondly, the flush is mostly a gimmick to get more money from you. if you change the filter and fluid enough before it gets burnt you wont have a need to get all the fluid out. you will be fine if you change it frequently enough.

I've heard nothing bad about the Lucas Trans additive. It will basically thicken the fluid and jack up the main line pressure. Helps the clutches and bands engage better.

Brake Fluid is BAD! It basically swells the seals. Swelling seals puts more pressure on everything, evenually causeing quite cataclysmic failures. We have a trans at my school that was run for about 14k miles with a 85/15 mixture of ATF and Brake fluid. The seals had swolen so much that they had actually begun to wear groves into the shafts of the trans. Rubber seals exserting so much pressure that they wore a shaft so badly that it literally cracked. It didn't comepletely come apart, but still. That cant be good.

If your Trans fluid is burnt up bad, nearly black with metallic grit in it, leave it alone. Your shit is done anyways.

If its brown with a few bits of fine metallic grit, do a filter/fluid drain fill. A flush will take some of the friction material off of the clutches and ruin the trans. Once you've changed the filter, make sure you dont have excessive contaminants on the magnet. Anymore then a teaspoon is a sign of a dieing tranny. Cut open the filter too to see if theres anything exsessive in there too. (Note: If the tranny was recently rebuilt, a large amount of contaminant on the magnet is not uncommon. Generally from simple break in)

If its still Red for the most part with no grit in it, flush it. Your adding life to the trans. Additives are optional, and are not needed for the most part. Just make sure you put the right trans fluid in the car. If it calls for ATF+3, put ATF+3 in it. If it calls for Dexron, put Dexron in it.

However, if you car is suffering from a minor slipping shift and the fluid is still okay, and it calls for Mercon or Dexron, put ATF+3 in it. ATF+3 has a higher coefficient of friction, making the shifts more solid. Also, if your looking for a really hard shift you may want to try Type F fluid. I dont know if type F provied enough lubrication for most trans though and it may cause premature wear.

Thats all I know about tranny fluids.

first off, just the pressure of the fluid pushing through the tranny parts knocks of the coating on the bands and clutches on higher mileage trannys, causing the filter to clog, thus burning up the tranny.

The flsuh machines (Wynns at least) MATCHES pressure. This means the tranny is under NO more pressure than what the pumps exert under normal driving conditions.

Seriously...........it's the flush additives that fuck shit up, NOT the machine (usually). Not to mention ATF is a STRONG detergent all by itself.

Either way........

If the tranny hasn't been serviced in a while, do a pan drop. It's safer.

this is a very helpful thread, ill have to remember not to use additives when flushing, or anything of the such, my 70k mile tranny has perfect fluid, im gonna try to keep it that way with, what do u recommend, like yearly changes/flushes or what

Change it every 35k. Thats what I do to my cars, all of them. I got in the habit of doing that because of the notorious tranny in my concorde. The 42LE is possibly the second worst tranny ever, only to be rivalled by the tranny in my Cirrus, the 41TE or A604. They are such crap trannies. The cirrus has a bad differential (that I've recently welded into place, can we say locker FWD?) and the concorde has slightly high clutch volume indexs. So I take care of them both to make sure nothing dies, cause right now if the cirrus goes, I'll be forced to put miles on my cruiser again. And I REALLY dont want to do that.

I've heard nothing bad about the Lucas Trans additive. It will basically thicken the fluid and jack up the main line pressure. Helps the clutches and bands engage better.

Does this mean that it could potentially make harder shifts? I'm just wondering cause after I added my tranny cooler I also put some Lucas in and my 1-2 shift is still firm, if not firmer than before :think:

this is a very helpful thread, ill have to remember not to use additives when flushing, or anything of the such, my 70k mile tranny has perfect fluid, im gonna try to keep it that way with, what do u recommend, like yearly changes/flushes or what

How do you drive your car? There is no set rule....ever car in every situation is different.

Does this mean that it could potentially make harder shifts? I'm just wondering cause after I added my tranny cooler I also put some Lucas in and my 1-2 shift is still firm, if not firmer than before :think:

Acutally....no, you won't have firm shifts. The only way to do that is to make certain holes in the valve body bigger or to stiffen the springs in the accumulators (or replace with rods). The reason pressure is jacked up is because the fluid is thicker....so it takes more time for it to flow through the passageways.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Additives are not a fix......only a crutch.....at best. If something is wrong with your transmission......something is wrong with it.

thats most likley true, and i drive my car half and half, somtimes i drive like normal accelerate avrage and brake avrage, but sometimes ill be like accelerate fast, and brake fast, or mash it to the floor on the highway to feel the power, lol

I've been thinking of taking charge of a young 27,600 mile tranny and dropping the pan once I move into my house. As canada stated, I'll probably remove the return line to get all of the fluid out. I don't trust Valvoline and places like that(plus they charge like $99 for just the flush without changing the filter).

Okay, I don't know anything about what the past owner did to my car, but mine has 127,700 miles on it. Would you recommend a pan drop or a flush? The fluid is still pretty red, maybe on the verge of turning brown. I know it slips 1-2 when its 1 sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't like to go into 4th gear on the expressway when I let off the gas (it's pushing 3800 on the tach in 3rd or so with the cruise on at 70-75mph)

Okay, I don't know anything about what the past owner did to my car, but mine has 127,700 miles on it. Would you recommend a pan drop or a flush? The fluid is still pretty red, maybe on the verge of turning brown. I know it slips 1-2 when its 1 sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't like to go into 4th gear on the expressway when I let off the gas (it's pushing 3800 on the tach in 3rd or so with the cruise on at 70-75mph)

Drop the pan, that way you can change the filter and see if there is any crap on the bottem of the pan.