aftermarket CD player in 97+ Prix...

GTPrix

Other than my steering wheel controls, is there anything I have to watch out for when putting in a new head unit? I know GM got cute at some point and started controlling differnet systems through the radio. I want to put a new Alpine h.u. in my 97 GTP.

Thanx in advance for the input.

Drew

The 97-03 GP's had the identical radios that the 94-96 GP's had. None of those model years used the radio to set the BCM functions (delayed locking, RKE settings, etc.) IIRC, in the 04-05 GP's, you set the BCM functions through the DIC.

If you're looking to integrate the steering wheel controls, check this out:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/stwhcoin.html

What about the chime though? I thought that goes thru the radio.
Doesn't on mine. I think it is the 04'+.

Starting in 2000, GM started integrating it into the stereo's. I hate having to explain to people at work who drive a 00+ GM vehicle saying there may be a possibility of losing this and this, blah blah blah.

Good to know. One less vehicle I have to worry about.

I always have to ask the question "When you get your oil changed, do they have to mess with the radio to turn off the oil change light?"

I thought I heard the chime coming out of the front speakers on my sister's '02. If not though that's good, cause she's been bugging me to put her CD player in.

What about the chime though? I thought that goes thru the radio.
Doesn't on mine. I think it is the 04'+.

Starting in 2000, GM started integrating it into the stereo's. I hate having to explain to people at work who drive a 00+ GM vehicle saying there may be a possibility of losing this and this, blah blah blah.

I do have a 2000 there Chris. :lol:

I thought I heard the chime coming out of the front speakers on my sister's '02. If not though that's good, cause she's been bugging me to put her CD player in.

Most likely. If it has it integrated into the radio, it has(I know I'm missing some): Chime module, dome light, and oil change light. Those I remember for sure.

Dan, like I said, some GM's have them, some don't. Hell... there have been a few 00+ GA's that came in with them, even a few cavy's. It all depends on the vehicle.

Most likely. If it has it integrated into the radio, it has(I know I'm missing some): Chime module, dome light, and oil change light. Those I remember for sure.

Dan, like I said, some GM's have them, some don't. Hell... there have been a few 00+ GA's that came in with them, even a few cavy's. It all depends on the vehicle.

The 97-03 GP's had the oil change light reset button under the dash.

Uh no. Mine's on the DIC. (maybe the DICless gp's (or the not as fancy ones) :lol:)

Chris, I have heard about cavi's having them intergrated but not the gp's.

The "chime through the radio" deal started when they switched over to the Double-Din sized radios (excluding the 95-01 Buicks and Oldsmobiles.)

As far as installing an aftermarket radio in these cars, they sell a harness that allows you to relocate the radio to the trunk, but for the same money you can get an aftermarket chime module, which doubles as the "install harness" that you connect your aftermarket radio to. On the Impala (and I'd assume the Monte as well) you can reset the "Change Oil Soon" warning by switching the ignition on (engine off) and depressing the accelerator to the floor 3 times within 5 seconds.

This is the "Chime Module" that I recently purchased for my Impala.

Here are some FAQ's regarding late model Impala radios (which I'd assume would be the same for other GM's as well)

Uh no. Mine's on the DIC. (maybe the DICless gp's (or the not as fancy ones) :lol:)

Ah, shit. I'm thinking of the tire pressure light. DOH!

Ah, shit. I'm thinking of the tire pressure light. DOH!

What tire pressure light? (I know some 97's have them but mine doesn't)

It should be on your DIC. My buddy's '02 GTP has one. I guess the tire pressure monitoring system is an option.
Weird. I've never seen one there on any gp. Got a pic?