High Idle on a 95 3.4

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Im looking to get the 95 GT in top selling condition, and I have one issue to iron out..

On cold starts and cold starts ONLY:

When i start it up, it will idle at like 2k RPM's, and then drop out, stutter, sometimes stall.. but as soon as i drop it into drive, it runs beautifully... any ideas on what this is?

Guest Anonymous

Is it something that should have been done during the timing belt replace? The guy I got my GTP from said they had the intake gaskets done when the belts were done, too.

OMG i know exactly your problem being a 95 owner.

the reason it dosnt die in drive is b/c the motor requires more gas to turn the tranny.

the lower intake gaskets are leaking. not much but enough to let ya know it is. i went threw this last year.

Its normal for it to idle high when cold until warmed but for it to die its that intake leak. if you are anywhere near me i could have them replaced in 30 mins. else If you want i couldmake a 95 specific intake removal writeup

On cold starts and cold starts ONLY:

When i start it up, it will idle at like 2k RPM's, and then drop out, stutter, sometimes stall.. but as soon as i drop it into drive, it runs beautifully... any ideas on what this is?

same exact problem when i had my '92 Z34...wierd problem yes!

think its anything serious? once i put it in drive nothing is wrong, and if it starts warm, its fine as well.

It's fine to drive it but I would get new intake gaskets instead of letting a problem go on. :roll:

Yep, lower intake manifold gaskets.

Affects every 90's GM engine built before 10/16/98 that uses the combination rubber/plastic intake manifold gaskets. I don't know what happened after 10/16/98, but for some reason, those aren't affected.

I had to fix the problem on my 94, and now my 99 Silverado has it.

intake gaskets should run $20-$30 from any parts store. and since we all know ross won't fix it himself just add $100 to that price and thats probably a good estimate of what it would cost.

intake gaskets should run $20-$30 from any parts store. and since we all know ross won't fix it himself just add $100 to that price and thats probably a good estimate of what it would cost.

only $130 at any reconizeable autoshop is unrealistic.

maybe at a local mompop autoshop

but a dealership or big place will want 250-400+ for the job.

If your good you can do it yourself in less then 2 hours from start to finish.

I had mine done and it was around $500CAD (Stealership service) But I also had tons of other work done at the same time

lol every time i go to the stealership to get something done about 3 other things are fixed aswell.. rarely ever seen a bill under $500 from them