Grand Prix widetrack question...

GTPrix

i believe "widetrack" was the term the started when they switched the designs around for the 97 year. It wasnt an option, it was just the newer body style

of course, i could be pulling this outta my ass

Yeah, "Widetrack" is just a marketing thing they used to sell them back in '97. But if you look the newer W's are wider than the previous generation.

Its not only a marketing ploy for the second gen, but also a throwback to the late sixties GTO which was also billed as being "widetrack".

Interesting fact, the Olds Intrigue actually had the widest track of the second gen W's. Where was its marketing ploy?

Guest Anonymous

I always thought B4U cars were some sort of primitive "widetrack" and when then 97+ Gp's came out, the were "The New Widetrack".... but in an official sort of way.

I always thought B4U cars were some sort of primitive "widetrack" and when then 97+ Gp's came out, the were "The New Widetrack".... but in an official sort of way.

I think you're just thinking of the cladding that sticks out 14 feet... that makes it look a little wider. The actual body isn't any different.

I have never seen a 2 door Se in the 97+ :willynilly:

the '97 SE's are fugly, your not missing anything

oh ya they are. those stick out with a sore thumb.

the air dam is totally different and its just, ewww

I remember seeing a spy photo of the 97 GP back in 94 or 95 that was a coupe with the SE's front nose! Luckily Pontiac came to their senses and never released an SE coupe.

The SE's got the GT's front nose starting in 2000 (half way through the model year, IIRC.) The only way to tell a mid 2000-2003 SE apart from a GT (aside from the badging) is the rear bumper...

The SE's got the GT's front nose starting in 2000 (half way through the model year, IIRC.) The only way to tell a mid 2000-2003 SE apart from a GT (aside from the badging) is the rear bumper...

They got the front bumper, but the paint was differant. The chin spoiler wasn't grey like the GT's, it was body color.

I remember seeing a spy photo of the 97 GP back in 94 or 95 that was a coupe with the SE's front nose! Luckily Pontiac came to their senses and never released an SE coupe.

The SE's didn't get the side lower cladding too, and the front fascia was 1 color instead of the gray lower.

:werd:

but i guess now that i think about it they really didn't change that much on the first gen Prixs until '97

The 96 SE coupe had a exterior width of 72.1 inches. In the 1997 "Widetrack" design, it was increased to 72.7 inches. :roll: FWIW: A 97 Ford Taurus had a width of 73 inches.

Aaron